how do I point the x10 subdomain to my new domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammccal

Reaction score
I recently obtained a .tk domain, but when I created my account here I didn't have it yet so I created an x10 subdomain.

I've pointed the nameservers on my new domain to x10 nameservers and also added the new .tk domain as an ADDON domain to my account here per instructions I found and it all works fine.

But I'm not sure if I should have added it as a parked domain to accomplish what I want, or if there is something else I need to do.

I really don't even need the x10 subdomain now, but I'm not sure if I can change that since the account wasn't created with the .tk domain I intend to use.

Since the x10 subdomain is still there, though, what I would like is for it to send any traffic to the new .tk domain should anyone find that link somewhere still. I'm just not sure how to achieve this other than creating an index page in the root public_html directory that has the proper link to bookmark. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

caftpx10

Reaction score
You can set a redirect using the .htaccess file to redirect all traffic from the sub-domain to the domain. There's a ton of examples online of how this can be achieved.

sammccal

Reaction score
You can set a redirect using the .htaccess file to redirect all traffic from the sub-domain to the domain. There's a ton of examples online of how this can be achieved.

Thank you! I'll look into that. Is it possible to have x10 change my primary domain name from sammccallfans.x10host.com to my new domain sammccallfans.tk instead? It would eliminate need for redirect and having an addon domain.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Just a by-the-way: your main domain has to be an x10Hosting-provided subdomain. That gives you a way to access your account without support overhead if your external domain expires, gets suspended/terminated, etc.

sammccal

Reaction score
Just a by-the-way: your main domain has to be an x10Hosting-provided subdomain. That gives you a way to access your account without support overhead if your external domain expires, gets suspended/terminated, etc.
Ah! That makes sense. I used the "redirect" option in cPanel to add a 301 perm redirect from my x10 sub to the new domain. Does that method modify the .htaccess or would it be necessary and/or better to also go in and still modify the .htaccess file manually? Thank you for taking the time to reply!

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
That should have added an entry to your .htaccess. You can always check through the file manager (don't forget to select "show hidden files (dotfiles)") if you're concerned.

sammccal

Reaction score
That should have added an entry to your .htaccess. You can always check through the file manager (don't forget to select "show hidden files (dotfiles)") if you're concerned.
Awesome. I'll check to be sure, but thank you so much for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.