how do you run .exe files

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow310

Reaction score
i want to no how i can run my .exe files i have a server for a games called gta san andreas but dont no how to run the .exe file to get it to work can someone please help me i dont no if this is in the right place but if no move it

p.s. the gta server runs of cmd nothing else

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Technically, there are ways to run .exe files on *nix based systems. The real problem here is not a single host on the entire planet is going to let you run a binary (executable, ie .exe .sys .bin) file on their server. The risk is enormous. That file could be a virus!

If you want to do this, I would recommend purchasing a Windows IIS server VPS. Either that or use your own computer as a server, which is a huge can of worms.

shadow310

Reaction score
i no you can run sa-mp on x10hosting because you already have one running so if you no how can you help me please

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
You can run it on a VPS. There is no way to do this on free hosting. You do not have access to the command line. Even if you did have access, you would not have root level access to install the necessary software to run Windows binaries on a Linux system.

If you believe I'm wrong about this, you can submit a ticket and request help from an admin.

taha116

Reaction score
im gona warn you know before you do any VSP type stuff make sure you know what your doing. I hope your not gona just install a game and think anyone will be just able to play it...

Theres usually allot more involved than that.

debio264

Reaction score
Okay, you don't seem to be clear on the concept here.
This is a web host. That means they host websites. HTML is fine. PHP is fine. CGI is fine.
Executables for other servers are not fine.
Even if you get a full gameserver installed in your account's space, you won't be able to launch it. Security measures are in place to keep you from using executables.
Even if you find a way around that, you will be suspended for excessive resource usage, suspended for misuse of your account, or the server will be inaccessible because the server firewall will block connections to it.
You can't run game servers on free webhosts. You can't run game servers on webhosts at all. Find a VPS or a dedicated server host somewhere.

If someone's already running one of these servers at x10, they aren't running it on free webhosting. x10 also offers VPS hosting, and you can probably run a game server there.

Last edited:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
If someone's already running one of these servers at x10, they aren't running it on free webhosting. x10 also offers VPS hosting, and you can probably run a game server there.

Correction, you -CAN- run a game server on a VPS offered by x10 (there's no probably about it). Only requirements are that it has to be command line (dun think the VPS's have a GUI), and it can't require more than what your chosen VPS has available to offer in terms of cpu and allotted memory.

Course that's probably way too much information, but it might help someone else who happens to stumble across the topic at a later date anyways :)

Short version: X10 Free Website Hosting, NO GAME SERVERS AT ALL. X10 Paid Virtual Private Server (VPS) Hosting, long as the server can run on linux.

Last edited:

debio264

Reaction score
Correction, you -CAN- run a game server on a VPS offered by x10 (there's no probably about it). Only requirements are that it has to be command line (dun think the VPS's have a GUI), and it can't require more than what your chosen VPS has available to offer in terms of cpu and allotted memory.

I said probably because many game servers would most likely exceed the resource limits of the basic packages, and some wouldn't even run on the more expensive ones. Most game servers are run on dedicated servers for this reason.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I said probably because many game servers would most likely exceed the resource limits of the basic packages, and some wouldn't even run on the more expensive ones. Most game servers are run on dedicated servers for this reason.

Good point, although I can think of a bunch that are actually pretty light on resources because the maps are small, and because it doesn't have to spend time rendering everything.

debio264

Reaction score
Good point, although I can think of a bunch that are actually pretty light on resources because the maps are small, and because it doesn't have to spend time rendering everything.

Dedicated servers don't do any rendering at all, actually. Some RPG style games that can be played multiplayer would probably run, but any modern FPS would choke and die. Even older games like Quake 3 derivatives would have trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.