How fast is your Internet?

monkeymhz

Reaction score
Im in Canada, I have shaw internet, the cheapest cable internet they provide, called lite speed. Overall im pretty satisfied, its about 19$ a month we have it bundled with our TV though. Only reason I really stick with them or don't wanna change is because even though they say they only allow us 10GB Bandwidth a month I have done a vast amount more 150GB+ and they don't care. So thats a main reason, speeds were ok, used to get download speeds of about 300kbps-700kbps mainly ranging 400kbps. But they sent us a new modem and after I put it in, now our speeds increased surprisingly. Now im averaging at about a 1.5Mbps download speed which is great, however our upload speed has always been crap. But I don't expect much from that since were on the lowest package they offer. Overall I cant really complain, here's my speedtest score.

Last edited:

henderson791

Reaction score
You could be using your network connection at work, or at home using a dial-up modem, ISDN connection, a cable modem, or a digital subscriber line (DSL). Whatever the device or technology you're using to surf the Web, we'll tell you the speed of your Internet connection..

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Here's mine

Oh, it's embarrassing.

Who is your ISP (they have to be a very small one)? Hurricane Electric is a backbone provider and by no means would provide that poor of service without giving it away for free D: . It would be best to test from a nearby server, as it'll give better speeds. If that is the closest one to you, that's really bad...

Last edited:

Jessica.C

Prime Account
Reaction score
it can be pretty fast at times. at then sometimes at random the connection is gone

Darkmere

Reaction score
this is my speed
download speed =1.09Kbps and
upload speed =0.87kbps
and i check my speed from ip-details please tell me whether my connection speed is fair enough or do i ve to improve?

1.09Kbs is really bad ... Dial up is around 56.6Kbs. Are you sure that is not in Megs rather than Kilos

remy87x18

Reaction score
Mine, I used Cablevision Optimum so according to speedtest.net:
Upload 2.10 MB/S
Download 13.13 MB/S
Ping 11 M/S (whatever ping is)

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
"Ping" is your computer yelling "hey, you!!" and the computer at the other end of the line yelling back "what?!". It's the "cheapest" transaction you can make over TCP/IP, so it takes the performance of the target machine out of the equation. A single ping command usually makes the request four times and waits for a response each time, giving you either a measurement of the time taken or a "must have been lost or ignored" report. After four requests, your computer will tell you the average amount of time it took to get a response, along with how much of the data (if any) was lost. 11ms (milliseconds) is a pretty good average response time, but since the speed test is usually at your ISP, you're only testing the "last mile" connectivity (the wire between your house and your service provider), so it ought to be fast -- you'd probably see a significant slowdown if you try to ping a server outside of the ISP domain (30-40ms is actually pretty darned good).

Ping can tell you whether or not you can "see" a server, but it can't tell you where things are going wrong when you can't. For that, you'd use tracert (trace route), which tells you every node on the network that your signal passes through, and where on the network your signal is getting lost. (It can also be instructive to watch just how many hops your connection has to make to get to a lot of places on the internet -- you can begin to understand how you can have a "big pipe" at home, but some things still take forever to open or download.)

Darkmere

Reaction score
"Ping" is your computer yelling "hey, you!!" and the computer at the other end of the line yelling back "what?!". It's the "cheapest" transaction you can make over TCP/IP, so it takes the performance of the target machine out of the equation. A single ping command usually makes the request four times and waits for a response each time, giving you either a measurement of the time taken or a "must have been lost or ignored" report. After four requests, your computer will tell you the average amount of time it took to get a response, along with how much of the data (if any) was lost. 11ms (milliseconds) is a pretty good average response time, but since the speed test is usually at your ISP, you're only testing the "last mile" connectivity (the wire between your house and your service provider), so it ought to be fast -- you'd probably see a significant slowdown if you try to ping a server outside of the ISP domain (30-40ms is actually pretty darned good).

Ping can tell you whether or not you can "see" a server, but it can't tell you where things are going wrong when you can't. For that, you'd use tracert (trace route), which tells you every node on the network that your signal passes through, and where on the network your signal is getting lost. (It can also be instructive to watch just how many hops your connection has to make to get to a lot of places on the internet -- you can begin to understand how you can have a "big pipe" at home, but some things still take forever to open or download.)

In the 90s we used to call it Ping Pong ... your computer would ping and the other would pong back lol

dinoian65

Reaction score
1392662795.png

University connection... pretty awesome.