How is my website?

bigtree

Reaction score
I just finished uploading my website to the server, and it is finally online. Does anybody have any constructive criticism about how I can make it better?

My website is http://bigtree.elementfx.com

Please be nice!

Also, can you tell me which blog host is the best and most skinnable?

LHVWB

Reaction score
Your site looks quite nice, but I have a few comments.
  • The links along the bar up the top don't work. This might be intentional but they could be links.
  • it would be better if you could try to avoid making sites that are best viewed in ie 6. This website looks to small in firefox, its a huge box which is in one corner of the screen.
  • There is something wrong with your menu, it seems to disappear to easily, when you move your mouse over it.

rumburak

Reaction score
Unlike verbsite I have no problems with menu, looks like we have different browsers.So this is important to optimize the pages for different viewers.
I use for browsing mainly Firefox without Flash, there is nothing wrong with the Flash , but I have limited range connection ,Flash can easily eat up, also loading Flash pages from different country often takes a lot of time.
These are the reasons that some people avoid Flashed web pages, than you can put some description what the page is about for non-Flashers, or even make non-Flash version of the site.
The code of pages is mixed, some is XHTML like the first lines ended with />,
some HTML code <table> , ah yes DHTML as well, and mixed upper and lowercases. I suggest to replace <BR> with <br> A:link with a:link and so.
Some standards of the codes are for example on http://validator.w3.org/

Franc0

Reaction score
Im on firefox and yes the menus are not working right.. also the first page must be the one to tell me whats your website about. ivisited pages and all i got to think about was that this website is like for downloading needed utilities and other stuff. doesnt really have an aim..

also green and black.. i thought i was entering an underground site.

Good luck.

tittat

Reaction score
A different and unique green theme.
The navigation menu need to improved.
i will give 6.9/10

bigtree

Reaction score
Wow, i'm getting better rating than I expected.
Thank you so much for helping me.

BTW, the navbar thing at the top wasn't supposed to be a navbar... it's just sort of a description thing... not really though.

And yes, this site doesn't really have an aim... it's just all my stuff.

I don't know how I could fix the menu in Firefox problem, could someone please help me?

bigtree

Reaction score
Please can someone find out what is wrong with the menu? I'm not technologically advanced enough to find out!

hartawan

Reaction score
1. the site really need improvement on navigation menu..
2. try validate your html and css via http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=referer and http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
3. use html tidy to tidy up your html code
4. it seems like your javascript is all over the html. whenever possible try to put in a single .js file rather than choke everything inside the head section.
5. try to design the web in other browser rather than IE coz IE is not the best browser to start designing web. prefer firefox or other browsers instead.
6. be consistent in the layout.

i hope this could be positive opinion for you.

bigtree

Reaction score
Merci, people!
Edit:
Does anybody know how to fix the NavBar?

Last edited:

budda

Reaction score
I really hope your not hand editing the site. From viewing the Page Source, the code is so broken up I couldn't see what was for what.

I didn't have the firefox problem others are having.

I couldn't tell what was wrong with the menu.

As for blog software. I use both Wordpress and Drupal, depending on what I'm using it for. Straight Blogs are Wordpress, blogs with other things is Drupal.

Soki

Banned
Reaction score
I honestly do not like it. At first glance it looks like a illegal website for hacking or that such. The content on your website can look better, more professional, or attractive if you had a smoother and cleaner look. Your website is not somewhere I would like to stay at for more than 2 minutes...

Last edited:

crazywit

Reaction score
it's too dark...i personally prefer sites with light background that pleases the eyes..

bigtree

Reaction score
1: To Sokii, could you have at least said it nicer? You didn't have to be completely rude and insultive, I was only looking for constructve criticism. Instead of freaking out on me and insulting my site, could you tell me exactly how to make it better? Also, there is nothing illegal or "hacky" on my website.

2: To crazywit, otherwise would you say it's alright?

Last edited: