How many have upgraded to Windows 10 ?

forumho2

Reaction score
If you run windows on your computer, how many have done the free upgrade to the Win10 flavor ? I did it initially, but went back to Win7 mainly i guess because i didnt care for all the extra goop on 10.

What are the opinions here on this topic. ?

kenny9

Reaction score
You can set up your desktop to run conventionally and not have to use the apps. I have not figured out how the apps are beneficial for my use.

forumho2

Reaction score
Me either, or all the info harvesting they do, i also dont use XBox, etc. Just need a good OS to access the internet really, and i dont care for IE at all, considering going to Linux Mint.

chiloqui

Reaction score
I stayed on 7 and never liked 8, but when 10 came out I gave it a few months to work the kinks out and decided I needed to try something new. I then upgraded and it was a love/hate relationship at first but it finally grew on me. That is not to say that I didn't strip or work around the annoyances (Such as Market, Online Accounts, calling home etc) but once all those were worked out it was a fast and slick improvement over Windows 7. I actually dual-boot with Arch Linux though so I am all about customizing and fine-tuning and Windows 10 by default is far from what I want to have to do for an OS that meets my needs. I fear the day when it comes to reinstall and may end up back on win7 just for ease. I will always dual-boot though because with lessons learned it creates a much more robust desktop experience ensuring compatibility. Coming up is the OEM mess with upgrades so I am still waiting to see what issues arise with hardware upgrades and windows loosing activation....

caftpx10

Reaction score
I have upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 and I noticed large stability improvements and all those nice things.

The only issue I have? It breaks the NFC driver for the NFC reader/writer (even the manufacturer mentioned this on their site but it was not put out as a warning in the first place like it was not important).
Because GNU/Linux does not seem to support it either, I pretty much have one part of useless internal hardware. rest in pepperonis

forumho2

Reaction score
What ?? If you have windows of any kind, Microsux should have been beating your door down.

SierraAR

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I updated to Windows 10 awhile back, been running it for a few months now and haven't had any problems with it. I did go through and tweak settings and such, got rid of apps, etc etc, but it works fine as a desktop. Haven't had any problems playing games either, so people who tell you Windows 10 cannot run games are liars :p

As a side note.. I do still have windows 7 running in a virtual machine, and several linux distros.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
My work laptop runs Windows 10 and I'm happy with it, with Microsoft Office, and AutoCAD 2017 being the most used things on it. Windows 10 'feels' quicker than Windows 7 and 8/8.1 did, but I don't have any stats to back that up.

Jessica.C

Prime Account
Reaction score
I didn't upgrade - instead I got a new laptop that came with Windows 10.

Didn't like it at first, but I've gotten used to it, although sometimes it still frustrates me. There are a few things that I don't like about it, like the fact that the Advanced Appearance Settings have been removed (so I can't change the system fonts). I got around that using an application, but still.

longbich

Reaction score
Thanks for all the Win10 suggestions. I will stay with Win7 which works fine.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
To make sure that happens as planned, you might want to consider running Never10 ( https://www.grc.com/never10.htm ). It doesn't need to be installed or anything, it just sets all of the appropriate registry setting and so forth to make sure that your "optional" upgrade doesn't "accidentally" become compulsory.

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I have upgraded to windows 10. And please don't revert to windows 7 as poor UWP developers can only make a living if more and more people can stay with Windows 10 :p

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
That environment (and the app/interaction style it encourages) is one of my major gripes with Win10, actually :)

OldFineArt

Reaction score
After using Windows XP, I went to Linux Mint and am very happy with it.
Me too - that's exactly my experience and what I think.

HOWEVER I have just bought a new PC and it has windows 10 on it. :meh: My plan is to dual-boot the new PC Linux Mint/ windows and keep a minimum of windows 10 on it. At present, I am trying to work out how to migrate all the Linux Mint data etc from the old PC to the new. I have all the Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures and Programs backed up onto a portable HDD.

If anyone has any helpful tips or pointers, I'd be pleased to receive them. >:)

alan.marlow79

Reaction score
I did the Win10 upgrade and almost immediately found an issue with the graphics despite my computer being "suitable for Windows 10".
Battled on for a few weeks then I think I encountered some other problem which appeared to be a very common glitch so gave up and went back to Win7Pro.
Thanks Microsoft, but no thanks in this instance.

OldFineArt

Reaction score
I did the Win10 upgrade and almost immediately found an issue with the graphics despite my computer being "suitable for Windows 10".
Battled on for a few weeks then I think I encountered some other problem which appeared to be a very common glitch so gave up and went back to Win7Pro.
Thanks Microsoft, but no thanks in this instance.
Hi Alan
Many thanks for replying. Did you backup Windows 10 in case you wanted it later? If so, how?
I'm having problems getting around the Windows UEFI to allow the new PC to boot from a DVD and thus install Linux Mint, which I have on my older PC and am now loving more and more! I'm also shocked at the amount of data Microsoft wants to collect about me.
Arthur