How much is this laptop worth?

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Alright so my friend wants to sell his current laptop so he can buy an Acer Aspire or Asus Eee

Here are the stats:

Model: HP DV6324US
RAM: 2 GB Kingston
Processor: AMD Turion 64 x2 TL-50 (1.6 GHz)
HDD: 120 GB
Graphics: nVidia GeForce Go 6150
Monitor Size: 15.4"
WiFi: Integrated card

Extras: remote to control media center, 3 USB ports, a DVD+/-RW lightscribe optical drive with touch sensitive buttons above the keyboard, a Firewire port, VGA out, ethernet and modem connection, multicard reader, S-video out, and an expansion port

Any approximations on how much this is worth? I know it's less than $450 since a refurb one with 2.0 GHz, 3 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, and a GeForce 7150M

vol7ron

Reaction score
Need more information. What kind of screen? What speed HD? What speed RAM and what timings?

tridge

Reaction score
$100, considering you can buy dual core laptops for under $500 nowadays, most will come with 2-4GB and ATi/Nvidia newest chipset. Plus, with new computers you get at least a year warranty. This machine will be as-is and used.

tpounds

Reaction score
I would just buy a new one. I have that same model, but very different specs. 250GB HDD 3GB RAM AMD Turion X2 etc.

frankfriend

Reaction score
Check it out on Google / Ebay etc. How old is it? Any extended warranty left? I guess it is not worth big bucks, depends a bit on condition, good luck with it.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Given the specs and the possible age of the machine, about $175 in my opinion.

chingola

Reaction score
When it comes to selling, it is worth what a buyer will pay. I have sold some really old, really old win 98 laptops for $65 then a early windows xp laptop with 512 RAM and just CD burner for $150, it really depends what a person wants and what they may pay. That was two months ago by the way.

JKoltner

Reaction score
I agree with Chingola... what it's worth has a lot to do with who you're selling it to -- and how much time and effort you're willing to put into selling it.

If you sell it on eBay, you won't get much money (looks like they're going for ~$350), but it's a fast and easy transaction.

If you sell locally on, e.g., Craigslist, you'll get considerably more money... but be prepared to have to do a certain amount of tech support/hand-holding for your customer.

If you're in a major city you'll get noticeably less money than if you're in a relatively rural area (where your "competition" is less).

Personally, unless the guy already has spare computers around or really needs the money, I'd be tempted to keep it as an extra to let people borrow, sit on the living room coffee table, try out Linux on, etc. The specs are still quite reasonable unless you're looking for a gaming PC (which a netbook sure won't be!).

Hey, how big are your friend's hands? The Acer Aspire One and the eeePC have pretty small keyboards -- tough to use if you have big hands. The HP and Samsung netbooks have the largest available keyboards.

Last edited:

intertec

Reaction score
Well if you are just gonna buy a laptop then you should get a brand new one since that laptop is worth nothing these days. If i was you, just save up some money and get a better one. good luck.

tridge

Reaction score
I have an old Sony Vaio that I could only sell (in my opinion) for about 50$ and I would actually feel bad selling it for anything just because I know the hardware is behind the times. I gave it to my mom so she could play Pogo games in the living room...Sometimes its just not worth it to sell if there is the slightest possibility you may use it later down the road. Like someone here said, throw Linux on it and have a file server or something, turn it into a media PC...something.

burner35

Reaction score
I've got 3 Laptops (2 Sony's and 1 Dell) and a Mac book. If your going to buy a laptop, be very picky on what you want it for, e.g; HardCore gaming, software engineering and multimedia. You will also want to find out what is the best and what advantages it holds over each ;)

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Haha well my friend plans on getting an Eee or Aspire One, he just wanted to know if he could sell this laptop and cover most if not all of the cost for an Eee or Aspire One