How much RAM do you have?

How much RAM do you have?

• Total voters

hlastimosa

Reaction score
I got 4GB of RAM both at home PC and Laptop for work , the home PC that i have is on DDR2-667 , though I have read somewhere that you really don't need to go higher than 4GB since its overkill, i dunno if this is true or not, anyone wants to comment ? please feel free :)

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
I got 4GB of RAM both at home PC and Laptop for work , the home PC that i have is on DDR2-667 , though I have read somewhere that you really don't need to go higher than 4GB since its overkill, i dunno if this is true or not, anyone wants to comment ? please feel free :)

Right now it is, but when Windows 8 comes out it may be required. :biggrin:

comptuts

Reaction score
MY Computer Has 4GB DDR3 RAM and 512MB Graphics Memory , My Homeserver (Local) Has 64GB.

naguissa

Reaction score
Main laptop: 1,5Gb
Main PC: 512Mb
TV PC: 512Mb o 1Gb, I don't remember
Old laptop acting like a home server: 64Mb

ah-blabla

Reaction score
A server system as a desktop?

Anyway, Anything above 1GB is overkill unless you do developing in my opinion. Obviously windows uses much more Ram, so you probably need about 2GB for good running. (I remember looking into a new Vista install which was using 800MB after logging in, i.e. when it was doing nothing.)

I am planning on upgrading my laptop to 1..25 GB since 756MB is slightly too little for developing. (Eclipse manages to just push the kernel into doing paging, which is where everything gets slow.)

Linkz0rs

Reaction score
A server system as a desktop?
yes... i cant stand a slow comp... in my opinion, u can never have too much ram

Anyway, Anything above 1GB is overkill unless you do developing in my opinion. Obviously windows uses much more Ram, so you probably need about 2GB for good running. (I remember looking into a new Vista install which was using 800MB after logging in, i.e. when it was doing nothing.)
actually its not overkill, i personally think its ridiculous they make computers pre-installed with Vista and 7 with only 1 GB or so... LOL that is NOT enough to run Vista and 7 well at all... especially with Anti-Viruses and Firewalls being complete resource hogs :eek4:
i think its just best to build ur own comp, that way u can have what you want in it...

By the way... incase your wondering what "Star-Blade" is... it's an OS me and my friends made... made from scratch, not based on another OS like Linux lol

Last edited:

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
By the way... incase your wondering what "Star-Blade" is... it's an OS me and my friends made... made from scratch, not based on another OS like Linux lol

Oh.. Great

Are you thinking to give it out for testing. I want to test it. :)

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
1.5GB on my laptop lol. :)
1gb on my netbook.
2gb on desktop.

lithaerien

Reaction score
6GB tripple chanel on my homemade desktop PC and 4GB of RAM on my Macbook Pro lappy. nomnom on the ram :D

mdusmanasim

Reaction score
Developing does require a lot of RAM.
I recommend 4GB ram for application developing and graphic editing.
If you are into web developing then 2gb is suffice....... or if you are just a user 1gb, Hope this helps. Thank you.

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
6GB in my gaming machine, 3GB in my laptop, and 2GB in my workstation which hasn't been upgraded to 4GB because it's an older Dell Precision that's incredibly picky about what RAM it gets.

--- Mr. DOS

hlastimosa

Reaction score
4GB of RAM , I am planning to upgrade to 8GB but then there was a post on the net that shows 8GB of RAM does not really make much difference.

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
I wouldn't really want more than 4gb becuase then I'd have to buy 64 bit windows.