How much RAM do you have?

How much RAM do you have?

• Total voters

eyemdee

Reaction score
I just upgraded my desktop from 512MB to 2GB and the laptop I just bought from 256MB to 2GB and they both now fly on Windows XP Home. The desktop used to take around 10 mins to complete its bootup - now less than 1 min and the laptop is even faster!! At around £10 per GB you cannot go wrong by upgrading to the max.

sluthra

Reaction score
The reason why that person who has 4GB is because a 32 bit operating system can only address 2^32 bytes (4GB approx) which includes your GRAPHICS card, system cache, etc. So if he had like a 1GB graphics card, that would count towards the limit. 64 Bit OS on the other hand like Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate can support 192GB and Home Premium 16GB. I run Windows 7 Pro x64 with 6GB of RAM, 1GB 9600GT, 3.5 TB HDD(s).

scylla

Reaction score
I have 4gbs of ram, I'll wait until we can have 40+GB of ram before I upgrade again. (since we're already up to 12GB of ram with some pc's i might wait until 60-80GB is max.

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
4 gig on my pc, 8 gig on moms XPS and 2 gig on netbook

depbeep

Reaction score
I have a measly 256Mb (255Mb usable?) and I NEED more LOL. With just Firefox running I use 90% of my available Ram but 0.5% of my CPU, mind you I have quite a memory intensive setup -
Windows Sidebar, Leopard Launch Bar, Avast, Roboform and Styler all running in the background plus Sygate Personal Firewall so there is very little left for actual programs to run.
My wife has 512Mb in hers and doesn't run anything that really needs it so I'm thinking of sneakily swapping them over LOL. Well not really, I like being a man (so to speak) so I just really really need to find some cheap strips somewhere.

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
Oh goodness... both 256MB and 512MB are way too little for today's modern OSes :p Get yourself both up to 1GB - the difference will be instantly noticeable.

--- Mr. DOS

Awesomexr

Reaction score
2GB. Although my Family PC's are 256mb + 512mb, honestly they are soooo slow.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Getting an upgrade to 2 gig for crimbo :) My laptop keeps crashing when torrenting and playing music and browsing web :(

~Callum