how to add download linke

hmdana

Reaction score
dear website programers :happysad:

please how can i add a downloaded file to my web page....i mean if i want to add word documents or pdf files and a registerd user can download them ..

how to do this ....i am actually a pharmacist and all what i know about web programing is to follow step by step the big big big web programers ....pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease help

:happysad:

gillwill

Reaction score
One way to do it would be to have a hyperlink on your page with it's URL pointing to the file's location.

Then, with some, I think just the user clicking on the link may prompt them whether they want their system to open or save the file.

You could also include a message instructing users to right-Click on the link, then choose "Save Link as" (for Windows - ot sure for MAC & other).

-Gil

hmdana

Reaction score
thank you very much ...i need to know how to add the file to my web site and some one download it from my site....???
but actually your way is an excellent way ...in case I didn’t have the information to add it directly to my site I should use your way .
again thank you for this excellent solution.

;)

One way to do it would be to have a hyperlink on your page with it's URL pointing to the file's location.

Then, with some, I think just the user clicking on the link may prompt them whether they want their system to open or save the file.

You could also include a message instructing users to right-Click on the link, then choose "Save Link as" (for Windows - ot sure for MAC & other).

-Gil

gomarc

Reaction score
So you have a website, and that’s a good start.

And the registration process? Do you have any ideas about how you want to handle it?

hmdana

Reaction score
no actually i am still looking for that too but i found one site giving detailed information about registration ..still i didn't ty ..but i wish it will be easy

..but if you can help me in that i will be very thankfull

:happysad:

So you have a website, and that’s a good start.

And the registration process? Do you have any ideas about how you want to handle it?

smithee

Reaction score
The basic registration sites require four things:

1. A form for the user to fill in
  2. Some server-side code to get that info and put it in a database (most likely MySQL)
  3. A form for when a user wants to login
  4. Some more server-side code to indicate the start and finish of a "session" (i.e. the period when the user is logged in)

I would construct the code for these for you (or at least help you along), but I'm off out in a bit, so if nobody has replied to this with a solution by tomorrow, then I'll see what I can do.

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I would suggest looking into a CMS, becuase if I understood correctly
`you don't have a site
`you need a registration system
`you need users to download files and restrict downloading to only registered users

a CMS can do all of that!
now which CMS to chose, its basically up to you. I don't usually work with CMS's so I can not give you an expert opinion.

xadrieth

Reaction score
Well, to answer your original question:

This is the most simplest way to to do it:

HTML:
<a href="path/to/desired/file.extention">LINK TEXT</a>

Example:
<a href="images/funny/dog.jpg">A Funny picture of a dog.</a>

hmdana

Reaction score
what is CMS and where i can find information about this :dunno:

I would suggest looking into a CMS, becuase if I understood correctly
`you don't have a site
`you need a registration system
`you need users to download files and restrict downloading to only registered users

a CMS can do all of that!
now which CMS to chose, its basically up to you. I don't usually work with CMS's so I can not give you an expert opinion.
Edit:
thank you very much it is so kind of you to do so ....i feel i am in a computer haven every one is tryying to help....

The basic registration sites require four things:

1. A form for the user to fill in
  2. Some server-side code to get that info and put it in a database (most likely MySQL)
  3. A form for when a user wants to login
  4. Some more server-side code to indicate the start and finish of a "session" (i.e. the period when the user is logged in)
I would construct the code for these for you (or at least help you along), but I'm off out in a bit, so if nobody has replied to this with a solution by tomorrow, then I'll see what I can do.

Last edited: