How to change categories to lowercase in wordpress

ataarticles

Reaction score
I have been trying to reduce the font size of the main categories section of my site:

http://www.ataarticles.com/

and make it all lowercase.

What i find strange is that when i login to my wordpress dashboard the font size shown in the categories section is all lowercase but is shown as uppercase on the main site.

Now, i checked the plugin code for article directory and there is no code to show that it is uppercase.

article-directory/categories.css

#categories {
margin: 15px 0 5px;
}
* html #categories {height: 1%;}
#categories:after {
content: '.';
display: block;
clear: both;
visibility: hidden;
height: 0;
}
#categories .column {
float: left;
width: 175px;
margin-right: 5px;
}
#categories li {
list-style: none;
line-height: 17px;
}
#categories li ul {
margin: 2px 0 10px;
}
#categories li li {
font-size: 1em;
background: url(i/arrow.gif) 9px 7px no-repeat;
padding: 0 0 0 19px;
}
#categories li div {
padding: 3px 5px;
font-weight: bold;
text-transform: uppercase;
border: 2px solid #EEE;
}
#categories li li ul {
margin: 2px 0 2px -7px;
}
#categories li li a {
color: #808080;
}
#categories li li a:hover {
color: #AA0001;
}

---------- Post added 07-10-2010 at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was 07-09-2010 at 06:34 PM ----------

Ok, I have reduced the font size by studying the css template, but if anyone knows how to change upper to lowercase in wordpress for categories, let me know. Thanks.

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
You can just remove the line I put in bold below to remove the all uppercase:
#categories li div {
padding: 3px 5px;
font-weight: bold;
text-transform: uppercase;
border: 2px solid #EEE;
}

ataarticles

Reaction score
Ah, i didn't notice that in the code. I just overlooked that and copy and pasted it.
But i have removed that code, but it has not worked.
Maybe i need to check further.

thanks.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
First, try clearing your cache, as the the browser may still be using the older CSS file. If it doesn't change it then you'll have to delve into the PHP to look for a strtoupper in the code that outputs that section of the page, this can usually be done with a quick search that looks through the contents of all the files.

Last edited:

ataarticles

Reaction score
First, try clearing your cache, as the the browser may still be using the older CSS file. If it doesn't change it then you'll have to delve into the PHP to look for a strtoupper in the code that outputs that section of the page, this can usually be done with a quick search that looks through the contents of all the files.

Thanks for referring me to 'strtoupper'. I normally clear my cache after every few hours.
But referring to the link, i tried looking for the code as:

string
$string
str
strtoupper

but i cannot find it in the source code:
view-source:http://www.ataarticles.com/

Also, i tried searching for it in article-directory/article-directory.php
From that the only code that comes close to str is as follows:

function restrict_dashboard_screens() {
if ( ((strpos($_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME'], 'wp-admin/edit-comments.php')) or (strpos($_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME'], 'wp-admin/comment.php')))) {
if (!current_user_can('level_7')) {
echo "<div class='wrap'><h2>" . __('Restricted area', 'article-directory'). "</h2><a href='javascript:history.go(-1)'>&laquo; " . __('go back', 'article-directory'). "</a></div>";
die();

Hence, i need to check elsewhere but i don't see it in categories, page template either.

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

Also,
In the template: article-directory/article-directory.php
I see 4 $string code in:

function artdir_plugin_description($string) {
if (trim($string) == 'Displays the structured list of categories (like in article directory), which can be easily customized with CSS.')
$string = __('Displays the structured list of categories (like in article directory), which can be easily customized with CSS. See an example at <a href="http://articlesss.com/">articlesss.com</a>.', 'article-directory');
return $string;

And the rest of the code shows no other "$string" code.

Also, referring to: http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.mb-strtoupper.php

I could not find the word: strtoupper. I assume that is what i should be looking for since it automatically changes lower to uppercase.

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

Note also, that the first character of word should be uppercase.

For example, the word 'BUSINESS' should be Business
and NOT business (which is all lowercase).

Thanks.

Last edited:

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
To capitalise only the first letters, you can use ucfirst() or ucwords() depending on how you want it formatted, although you may have to do a strtolower() on the string first. The code you are looking for is going to be in the code that outputs the categories list, which could be in a plugin or in a script file of its own.

ataarticles

Reaction score
Ok,
As i spent some time trying to figure out why i can't find the strtoupper it seems that is not code that controls the categories text.

I tried again in the categories section which DeadBattery pointed out.
Not sure why it didn't work the first time, but maybe it takes time for the changes to take effect. But this time it seems to have worked.
But thanks to both of you.:cool:

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
Sounds like your browser was still using the cached version of the CSS page then despite your cache clearance, as any changes made to the file are instantaneous. It is possible you are accessing through a caching proxy that was giving you the same file each time. Anyway, glad to hear it's fixed now.