How to Over-clock a CPU [ tutorial ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

elpvn

Reaction score
Here's a my Vietnamese tutorial and I tried to translated it to English for you, hope it OK to someone :biggrin:

I can mention few points which I learnt through experience and from books.
Caution: over clocking will void your warranty, can also damage any part or shorten the life. (Some times irreversibly)

It involves risk and needs patience. Ventilation with extra fans and proper heat sinks to avoid over heating is extremely useful.
It depends on your processor and MB (=mother board). (Intel rarely supports over clocking)

AMD processors can be over clocked easily.
Few MBs support over clocking (find this from your MB manual).
PROCESS

BEFORE STARTING:
first read this whole text very carefully.
Be sure about what you are going to do.
It is OBLIGATORY that you read your MB manual. (Read about over clocking, clearing CMOS)

Locate CMOS pin on your MB (very useful when the process flops) and read how to place the pins to (clear CMOS) retrieve system when something worst happens.
For many MBs, pressing [INSERT] will clear CMOS. (Find its equivalent for your MB)
Remember that NOMENCLATURE used below can different for different MBs with some alteration.

I am explaining processor over cloaking because it is easier, less risky and yeilds good results.

TO ENTER INTO BIOS
Start the power on and on POST press [DELETE] for many systems and [F2-fuction key] for some systems. (If you don't know when to press "del" then it is better you keep on pressing that).

AFTER ENTERING INTO BIOS
frown.gif
Always follow the text displayed at every step if possible write that down)

Go to "ADVANCED CHIPSET FEATURES" tab by using arrow keys.
Change--- controls to be set by “EXPERT” or SYSTEM PERFORMANCE tab to “EXPERT” (no need for this step in some MBs)
Find “CPU FSB CLOCK” tab.
Select that. Read the text how to change it.
Then press ENTER. It gives you the option to change.
Please be patient from here. You can change that by pressing arrow keys.

Increase by just one step. (Very essential for safe over clocking)
Then save the configuration and exit bios(F10-function key for many systems).
It should normally lead to your OS.
Then restart.

Repeat the steps stated above and increase CPU FSB CLOCK in one-step increments.
After every few increments in “FSB CLOCK” increase the “CPU RATIO” marginally.
Never attempt to change voltage settings—causes overheating(I always feel it is more risky for biginers to attempt- so don't try this unless you are expert or if you wish to sacrifice processor).

After each cycle you can check your CPU CLOCK SPEED by right-clicking on
my computer-->properties--->general. You can stop at any point if feel satisfied. (Its better) If you want to exploit the maximum possible for your system, you can continue with the risk.

After repeating “X” number of cycles as stated above your system will reach its limit and fails to start. Your monitor doesn’t display anything –it’s dead.
Hope you remembered the FSB CLOCK where it failed.

TO RETRIEVE YOUR LOST SYSTEM REMEMBER THIS WON’T WORK ALWAYS
Power off system.

Keep your finger on [INSERT] (or its equivalent-PAGE UP for some systems), keep it pressed.

Power on the system without removing your finger on [INSERT] (or its equivalent).
If Gods favor you, your system will start with basic bios settings. Then enter BIOS and save the default configuration (F7-function key for most MBs).

Then increase your FSB CLOCK to two or three steps below the frequency where it failed. And save this configuration.

IF THIS WON’T SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM TRY THE FOLLOWING:
(1)Power off.

Change the PIN setting of CMOS to clear CMOS. Keep this for a while, and then put that back to original setting.

Power on while pressing the [INSERT] (or equivalent).
If this doesn’t work try different combinations—with out pressing insert button—keeping cmos pin in cleared position---repeating after some time etc.
For some systems removing and reentering the battery on mother board may work.
For some systems removing every thing including processor, ram, HD, and others (first place battery and keep CMOS PIN in clear position and placing others thereafter) and reentering them may work.
Even if this doesn’t work try this
Keep your processor in high end MBs and under clock it to its default value and vice versa. Put it back in your system.

Any thing further is beyond my ken.
Only experts who work for your money can solve it. Take the system to service center.

IT’S NOT OVER YET:

Hope everything worked fine and you reached the maximum possible value.
Then you should try every different possible combination of memory intensive applications like games, video encoding, kgb archiver, and others (what I mean to say is burden your system as much as can).Do this for at least 3-5 days. You may find system crashes. When ever your system is crashed, go to BIOS and decrease the FSB CLOCK by one unit and test that for few days. After repeating this you can find a stable system without any crashes. Note those values for easy over clocking in future.

AND FINALLY REMEMBER THAT I AM NOT AN EXPERT IN "IT" FIELD, TO ADMIT THE TRUTH MY PROFESSION IS NOWAY CONNECTED WITH COMPUTERS.SO DON’T RELY ON THE PROCEDURE IN CASE OF ANY QUALMS.LOT OF THE ABOVE STATED PROCEDURE IS BASED ON MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH MY COMPUTER AND SOME OF MY FRIENDS COMPUTERS AND SOME KNOWLEDGE GAINED FROM BOOKS.

MY SYSTEM IS:

AMD ATHLON –OVERCLOACKED TO ~ +16 %
( which worked good even for room temperature of ~50 centigrade)
KRYPTON MB,
OPEN VENTILATED,
OS-many(commonly media center+xp).

Don’t start today. Wait for few days to get some expert posts saying any different possibilities and risks.
Any advice from adept people in this field is highly welcomed and of course needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Z

Reaction score
Re: How to Over-lock a CPU [ tutorial ]

this looks like a good tutorial, and your translation looks pretty good, but i'd reccomend to anyone speaking english as their first language to find an English original tutorial, as through your translation, you might've missed a word or two that could make a MAJOR problem if the step was not understanded fully or w/e, of course people don't overclock their CPUs unless they fully understand the risks anyway, but i dunno, i just wanted to put my little bit in there :)

poringy

Reaction score

Actually, it's pretty accurate. The only problem would be whether the user's BIOS has a GUI entry for changing clock speeds...

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score

I edited the title of the first post to read "Over-clock" instead of "Over-lock".

azntechguy

Reaction score

I was personally and I still am, too scared to overclock my stuff, even though I know factory settings is still considerably lower than capacity.

OT: It still displays as "Over-lock" on main forum page

Status
Not open for further replies.