How to play this CD?

ellescuba27

Reaction score
This doesn't have to do with websites but I need someone good with tech to help me out here.
I recently found a CD that I don't know how to play.
It appears to be some audio CD, but it doesn't have any tracks on it in a common format. Instead, there is a folder called "HIFI", a STK file (which I would normally think to open with Pivot, but it doesn't work) called "0001000E.STK", some NDB files (never heard of that filetype before) called "ALBUM.NDB", "ARTIST.NDB", "GROUP.NDB", and "PLLIST.NDB" and "TRACK.NDB". Then there is also T0C00000.STI (which doesn't open in OpenOffice) and another file with the same name, except 00001 instead of 00000. The HIFI folder contains a bunch of ATP files (never heard of it) I didn't burn the disc, but judging by the file names, it's some sort of audio disc - how can I play it? Is this some kind of disc format that needs a special player or codec?

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
ATP files are the ATRAC format used in Sony MiniDisc players/recorders. They can be anywhere from MP3 quality to lossless (you can usually tell by the file size), and if they're compressed they're usually quite a bit better than MP3s of the same vintage and bit rate. You don't often see them burned to CD; they were either on your computer's hard drive for backup or recorded to MiniDisc (a magneto-optical format -- a 1GB MiniDisc was smaller than a 1.44MB 3-1/2" floppy). You'll need to convert them to play, but there are free converters (to WAV or MP3) available online. I haven't seen anything that will convert the playlist and library (NDB) files, but you can rebuild that stuff in your regular audio app/device.

ellescuba27

Reaction score
Sorry I left this post for a while, but do you have any recommendations for ATP file converters? Haven't seen any good ones.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Have you tried the one from Sony support? It'll only work on non-DRM tracks (owner-burned, not purchased from the Sony music store). It doesn't work on all machines, but it's the best of the bunch if the "I'm a VIAO" detector is satisfied (NOTE: your machine doesn't have to be a VIAO, but the software doesn't like some hardware configs). There's also the Spesoft Audio Converterhttp://download.cnet.com/Spesoft-Audio-Converter/3000-2140_4-10859093.html, but it's a C|NET download, so keep an eye on the installer for crapware (and watch out for the millions of download buttons that have nothing to do with what you're trying to download).

ellescuba27

Reaction score
Ok thanks.
The trick to CNET is to use the tiny link below their installer that says "Direct Download Link" which most people don't notice and doesn't use the CNET installer - even after that, it still asked me to install a toolbar, but I unchecked that. :)