How to Point to .com Domain Instead of a Sub-Domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shidesha

Reaction score
First and Foremost: If this is the wrong way to make http://shidesha.x10hosting.com point to http://www.shidesha.com instead. Please let me know how one goes about doing that, if not... please read on.

I just purchased http://www.shidesha.com through Yahoo!
I placed the following DNS addresses in:
ns1.x10hosting.com
ns2.x10hosting.com

Yahoo didn't provide any place in which to put the IP addresses, so I assumed the url addresses would be enough. Is this correct?

Once the DNS was configured, I went to my control panel (Addon Domains) and added the new domain. It wouldnt add the new domain and sent the following error message:

[a fatal error or timeout occurred while processing this directive]The subdomain, shidesha.shidesha.x10hosting.com has been added.

shidesha.com is owned by another user.

Removed Entry from httpd.conf [a fatal error or timeout occurred while processing this directive]The subdomain, shidesha.shidesha.x10hosting.com has been removed.

shidesha.com could not be setup. The subdomain shidesha.shidesha.x10hosting.com was not setup either.

How can I add my domain? Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Alejandro

Staff
Staff member
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes, you don't have to put the Ip Address, yesterday I bought a new domain also, and I had no problem. I think it is because the some accounts are being moved to another server, wait a few hours and try doing it again. It could be this too, the DNS take between 24 and 48 hrs to change, at least with .com domains.

Shidesha

Reaction score
Ahh I see, so it could be either of those things.

So I should be able to use the "addon domain" feature normally?

Its good to know Im using the right technique.
Thank you SO much for replying, means heaps to me!

Alejandro

Staff
Staff member
Community Support
Reaction score
Shidesha said:
Yes you should, actually if your want your domain to point right to you're home directory, go to parked domains instead of add-on domains, or if you want you can ask the mods to change your subdomain to your domain (you'll loose your subdomain), in the change/upgrade/downgrade section of th forums.

mserougi

Reaction score
aaorozco said:
Shidesha said:
Yes you should, actually if your want your domain to point right to you're home directory, go to parked domains instead of add-on domains, or if you want you can ask the mods to change your subdomain to your domain (you'll loose your subdomain), in the change/upgrade/downgrade section of th forums.

i have a question...suppose i actually had the subdomain (temp.x10hosting.com) changed and now i'm left with the actual domain i registered (www.something.org) then what happens when i want to add sub-domains to my website? will it be subdomain.something.org? or will i have to use subdomain.x10hosting.com instead?

Woolie

Reaction score
mserougi said:
aaorozco said:
Shidesha said:

i have a question...suppose i actually had the subdomain (temp.x10hosting.com) changed and now i'm left with the actual domain i registered (www.something.org) then what happens when i want to add sub-domains to my website? will it be subdomain.something.org? or will i have to use subdomain.x10hosting.com instead?

It will be subdomain@something.org

Status
Not open for further replies.