How to set up custom records for email forwarding at NS2.X10HOSTING.COM

cragun

Reaction score
I have a custom domain (cragun.com) hosted at domains.google. I have a web site at x10, and by using custom DNS servers, I can see my site in a browser by typing the custom domain. That works.

I have used google workspaces (gSuite) in the past to host email and want to migrate away from that. It is possible to set up simple email forwarding based on the address of my custom domain? Domains.google allows me to set the forwarding, but because I am using NS2.X10HOSTING.COM as my custom DNS, it looks like I must set up custom resource MX records with X10HOSTING to forward mail.

How do I do this?

Last edited:

cragun

Reaction score
This article tells what to do as far as domains.google is concerned, but not how to do it for X10hosting.

Set up email forwarding with custom name servers​

Add the following MX records at your DNS host, if you're using custom name servers and want to use Google Domains' email forwarding.
Name/Host/AliasTypeTime-to-live (TTL)PriorityValue/Answer/Destination
Blank or @MX1H5gmr-smtp-in.l.google.com
Blank or @MX1H10alt1.gmr-smtp-in.l.google.com
Blank or @MX1H20alt2.gmr-smtp-in.l.google.com
Blank or @MX1H30alt3.gmr-smtp-in.l.google.com
Blank or @MX1H40alt4.gmr-smtp-in.l.google.com

jaygreen

Reaction score
In the control panel you can type DNS Management in the search box to add custom dns settings.

cragun

Reaction score
Hi @jaygreen Thanks for your suggestion. When I type in DNS Management or just DNS, I get no results. I'm using the free version of X10, so I have the directadmin console

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 7.14.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 7.14.37 PM.png
    103.9 KB · Views: 6

mrburnsx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
This article tells what to do as far as domains.google is concerned, but not how to do it for X10hosting.

Set up email forwarding with custom name servers​

Add the following MX records at your DNS host, if you're using custom name servers and want to use Google Domains' email forwarding.
Name/Host/AliasTypeTime-to-live (TTL)PriorityValue/Answer/Destination
Blank or @MX1H5gmr-smtp-in.l.google.com
Blank or @MX1H10alt1.gmr-smtp-in.l.google.com
Blank or @MX1H20alt2.gmr-smtp-in.l.google.com
Blank or @MX1H30alt3.gmr-smtp-in.l.google.com
Blank or @MX1H40alt4.gmr-smtp-in.l.google.com
Email Manager > MX Records

cragun

Reaction score
@mrburnsx I don't see MX records in the Emai Manager menu: This is what I see.

1646590904909.png

Forwarders only work for the raw x10host.com mail. I can't set anything for my domain.
1646591016213.png

Eric S

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Account Manager > DNS management is what you are looking for. You will want to make sure your custom domain is selected in the top right before you view this page.

cragun

Reaction score
@Eric S Thank you!! I'm getting much closer.

My custom domain is not selectable in the top right. 1646744718680.png

The custom domain only exists as a pointer:

1646744844926.png
Add new shows that there are two domains, so I assume the pointer is one.
1646744894918.png

If I try to add my custom domain, it says it already exists.
1646744968242.png

So on my DNS management screen, should I be creating records for the .x10 name?, or is there are different way I should be parking my custom domain?

I can't see where the pointer is set up. Perhaps in some file in my file system?

1646745166592.png

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
A pointer domain can not hold its own settings, it will always duplicate what the domain it points to have configured.

In this case, it would likely be better to remove the domain from pointers and add it as a separate domain, and then copy over the contents you want to show on it from the x10 provided domain (assuming you want to show the same content).

Now, the question here is what you are trying to achieve, by setting a custom MX record, you would essentially point the mail handling to google, rather then use our mail servers. If your end goal is to migrate the email handling away from google wouldn't it be easier to create the mail accounts in your account here on x10 rather then point the mail to google and then use forwarding to send the mail away from google before you actually read it?

Depending on where you want to send the mail and how many mail accounts you have/want, it may be your best option to use google mail to act as the mail server for your domain and then forward from there though.

cragun

Reaction score
@Anna thank you so much for your answer.
1. How do I remove the pointer?
Here is what I'm trying to do. Some family members have accounts at Google workspace with the custom domain. Don't want to pay the $6 per user per month. Trying to migrate them each to an email@gmail.com account. The old account will only forward as long as the Google workspace custom domain email exists. My plan is to set up the domain email forwarding for each account to the gmail.account. We'd like to be able to send out as the custom domain email from the email@gmail.com account. Gmail allows one to do this, but I can't see a way to use Google's SMTP server to send out mail as the custom domain. However, I can do it through a third party smtp.

UPDATE. I figured out how to send out as custom domain via Googles SMTP server using authentication of the email@gmail account. So at this point I just need how to remove the pointer. Thanks!!

Last edited: