(HP Vectra VLi) PS/2 ports not working

republicofkanto

Reaction score
Whenever I plug a mouse or keyboard into the PS/2 ports on my HP Vectra VLi, it will not recognize them at all.

Any fixes?

Someone please help.

Last edited by a moderator:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
What's your OS? Also, once you plug it in, you need to reboot before it will recognize these devices.

republicofkanto

Reaction score
I plug the keyboard in while the computer is off.

The OS is Windows XP Home SP3, but it doesn't make a difference. The PS/2 ports worked fine up until a couple of weeks ago.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hmmm, go to the device manager and see if it even sees anything there. If it does, then you just need to find the right drivers. If there's no PS/2 devices listed there, then either something might be disabled in the bios, or possibly your MB is going bad.

republicofkanto

Reaction score
It doesn't recognize either PS/2 device at boot time, giving me mouse and keyboard errors.

My motherboard isn't going bad, as everything else works fine.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
It doesn't recognize either PS/2 device at boot time, giving me mouse and keyboard errors.

My motherboard isn't going bad, as everything else works fine.

Everything else works fine in my old MediaBox pc as well, that is everything except the onboard lan.

Computers are finnicky - it is entirely possible, and actually quite likely, that the ps/2 ports have failed but not taken anything else with them.

Otherwise how can I explain Mediabox throwing a BSOD or Kernel Panic every bootup if onboard lan is enabled? Soon as that's off, -everything- works just fine.

republicofkanto

Reaction score
Thanks all for your support.

HP Tech Support said the PS/2 port header is kaput, and I'ma get a new mobo on eBay.

*CLOSE PLEASE*

diamondpc

Reaction score
Motherboards or mainboard are very touchy i had one where a customer plugged a keyboard into a ps/2 port and then reboot and it poped the port. so i would look at getting a new MB

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
If it's as simple as one of the connectors coming off of the port, if you have a soldering gun you can simply repair it with that. I've fixed a few old PCs who had PS/2 ports fail on them from old age/use.