.htaccess Operation not permitted

Status
Not open for further replies.

christiand14

Reaction score
Hi,

I have wordpress installed on my account but i need to change the write access to .htaccess to install a plugin. When i change anything on the file permissions i get a message saying that the operation is not permitted. Does anyone know what to do?

Thanks in advance

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm curious. What plugin is this?

christiand14

Reaction score
Its called Enable Multi-Site. So i can host 2 sites under one installation

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
From the site about it, http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network, I see these two crutial statements in the server requirements:
It works with the use of the mod_rewrite feature on the server having the ability to read the .htaccess file, which will create the link structure.

Mod_rewrite already has this ability in the .htaccess file as already set up when you installed Wordpress, and there's nothing about changing file permissions for .htaccess.

Since this feature requires extra server setup and more technical ability, please check with your webhost and ask if they support the use of this feature. It is not recommended to try this on shared hosting.

We don't change any server configurations on an account by account basis. It's server-wide because this is shared hosting.

Status
Not open for further replies.