I guess I'm finally ready for some input.

dwd2000

Reaction score
Please keep in mind it is not totally finished, but it is workable.
I'd like to know which direction to turn, if I need to turn at all.
I'm not fussy on flashy sites, so mine might be a little more simple than others.
Feel free to add your name and stuff to the database and browse the forums.

http://www.friends-alumni.com

curt15

Reaction score
OK, its an OK site.

Firstly, the front page is bland, there's not a lot to enthral me to continue and its too text heavy.

Secondly, frames in sites is a no-no, it would be a better idea to set up a non fixed width CSS area, and set it up to overflow: scroll; so that you have that effect but without the frames.

For other areas, use php include.

The news-scroll thing is very 90's, use a fade technique, it would look a lot better.

The 3D word art esuqe header... redesign it for something more modern and the gradient thing clashes with the blue a lot. Also the 3D menu, loose that effect, have a simple but subtle colour change or something that follows the page design.

For colour schemes try this site http://www.hypergurl.com/colormatch.php its a good one if you are stuck and have a particular colour you wish to use.

Sorry if this is too critical, but it will help and make the site far more attractive.

jeyson65

Reaction score
I would personally get rid of the front page, it doesn't seem to serve much of a purpose. If you would want to keep that information, I would put it on the home page and move your info off the home page into another page.

The menu has some problems, I would redo it. If you click on the "button" but not on the text, it doesn't take you anywhere. The off-white or light gray background of it is very bland. There are a bunch of menus out there but I personally like the JSCookMenu (http://jscook.yuanheng.org/JSCookMenu/index.html).

And like curt15 said, CSS layouts are definitely the way to go. This has nothing to do with appearance but more with coding style. I would create an external CSS stylesheet to use to customize the appearance of your site. This single file could specify classes with specific styles to use throughout your site instead of setting the style attribute of an element. Then, if you want to change the appearance of a class, you can update it one place to change it across the site. I would check out the CSS page at www.w3schools.com

dwd2000

Reaction score
Not as bad as I thought (so far). I'm concentrating more on functionality more than anything else at the moment. The colours and such were basically thrown together. I've been reading up on CSS, and it looks like I have some work to do.
Thanks folks.

sunils

Reaction score
The site is a simple site. I liked the layout and the simple design. But some which need attention are
(1) the heading/3d text in the home page. -->need little more clarity
(2).Menus need some more attention. Just in plain wait and it does not suits the background color blue. Some thing odd actually.
(3). Some times it takes a long time to load, i meant about the menus. when i click some menus, its taking long time.

good job