I installed Wordpress but what next ?

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
When you installed WordPress, it should have asked you for your choice of a) admin username and b) admin password (Do not use "admin" as an admin user name and pick a secure password)

If you forgot what you put in for username and password, just use the installer to uninstall the WordPress and then just install it again remembering to write down the admin username and password (It should allow you to email all the info to yourself).

Also, if your entire site is going to be WordPress, I would suggest installing it in /public_html, not in /public_html/wp -- using the installer, leave the "directory" field blank. Then , instead of mysite.com/wp/ it will be just mysite.com/

davidkee

Reaction score
Many thanks for your help. I've done what you said. The problem with my original installation was that I hadn't filled in my email address at the bottom of the page. So I was never notified of the new account details. Thanks again.

davidkee

Reaction score
I've just found out that the Wordpress account I thought I had created by following the instructions above isn't an actual Wordpress account. As Ive just gone to the Wordpress Website (Wordpress.org) today to log in and it isn't accepting my name or password. So maybe it's not a Wordpress account I was creating on here ?? hehe really confused... but I've just read what you put on the bottom of your message though I'm not understanding it too well. I'm new to this kind of thing.

Last edited:

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
WordPress.com is a site where you can sign up for an account and have your own blog on their servers.

WordPress.org is a site that distributes blogging software named WordPress. When you install that script on a server (ie x10hosting), it has nothing to do with a WordPress.com account. Nothing.

davidkee

Reaction score
Thanks descalzo. I hadn't gone to Wordpress.com the blogging site. Like I was saying I had gone to wordpress.org . The same site i supposedly registered with when I installed Wordpress here. Sorry if I'm missing something. :(

davidkee

Reaction score
Okay what I registered for was 'Softaculous', the software installer used to install Wordpress into my web page. It had the same Wordpress logo signing in box which is used by Wordpress . I'm getting to understand this thing a bit more now.

Last edited: