i like computers

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
Computers allow us to make calculations and solve problems much faster than we would normally be able to.

But the human brain is still by far more powerful than any computer could ever be. Computers need to be programmed. Your brain thinks for itself.

olise184

Reaction score
I am in deep love with my computer... Computers today are the best thing that ever happened to mankind.... it has made business so easy and made the world a global village..

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Recently I have seen a couple of cases where computers actually crippled business temporarily.

Dollar General Stores had some kind of network failure at their corporate headquarters which completely disabled the cash registers at our local Dollar General forcing the store to close in the middle of the day for about 4 hours.
The Subway sandwich shop here had a very similar problem one evening during the dinner rush but they quickly went to hand written paper receipts and kept on going until the issue was resolved.
Not long ago our Wal-Mart hung signs on all the doors and cash registers stating that they could not accept any form of payment except cash, (no checks, credit cards or debit cards), because a satellite failure was temporarily preventing their store computers and cash registers from communicating with the various "electronic money" verification systems at the corporate headquarters.

I like computers and use my personal computer for many personal and business purposes, but I am also well aware of how risky it is to become completely dependent on a computer for any reason.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Recently I have seen a couple of cases where computers actually crippled business temporarily.

Dollar General Stores had some kind of network failure at their corporate headquarters which completely disabled the cash registers at our local Dollar General forcing the store to close in the middle of the day for about 4 hours.
The Subway sandwich shop here had a very similar problem one evening during the dinner rush but they quickly went to hand written paper receipts and kept on going until the issue was resolved.
Not long ago our Wal-Mart hung signs on all the doors and cash registers stating that they could not accept any form of payment except cash, (no checks, credit cards or debit cards), because a satellite failure was temporarily preventing their store computers and cash registers from communicating with the various "electronic money" verification systems at the corporate headquarters.

I like computers and use my personal computer for many personal and business purposes, but I am also well aware of how risky it is to become completely dependent on a computer for any reason.

Sounds odd to me that a store would be using satellite to communicate with an electronic credit system. Those things are usually done over telephone or T1 lines.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Sounds odd to me that a store would be using satellite to communicate with an electronic credit system. Those things are usually done over telephone or T1 lines.
One might think so. But, due to my interest in computers and communications and highly inquisitive nature, I discussed the issue with the store manager who is an acquaintance of mine and got some details. In a "former life" I was manager of an automotive service center. Computer communications with corporate headquarters for matters such as inventory, payroll, personnel, and accounting was done by telephone line, but credit and debit card verifications and charges were handled by a satellite link. So, I guess that kind of thing is not that unusual.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
One might think so. But, due to my interest in computers and communications and highly inquisitive nature, I discussed the issue with the store manager who is an acquaintance of mine and got some details. In a "former life" I was manager of an automotive service center. Computer communications with corporate headquarters for matters such as inventory, payroll, personnel, and accounting was done by telephone line, but credit and debit card verifications and charges were handled by a satellite link. So, I guess that kind of thing is not that unusual.

I'm probably too used to being near stores that have Free Wi-Fi via T1, DSL or Cable, and the occasional place that has FiOS. Many of the stores around here if they aren't sending data through T1 or Fiber, are using telephone lines (dial-up modems) for the purpose. I would imagine these days a business satellite link would be just as expensive as a T1 (Fractional T1s are cheaper though) and much slower.

Last edited:

krofunk

Reaction score

sounds like TOREX to me.

I have had to use this software on a daily basis for the last 3 years, the "pos offline" error forces everything to stop...and its not like I have only seen it the once :rolleyes:

francis.alturas73

Reaction score
hahah. yep. they're great. I've been using one since i was in kindergarten. it doesn't even have a mouse. heheh

Sion

Reaction score
Yeah. I also like the computers. As you know that now this is the world of computer. Every work done with computers. I really loved computers and search on every parts of this. ;)