I too can't receive email

Status
Not open for further replies.

davearonson

Reaction score
I too can't receive email. I have catchall (or as cpanel calls it, "default") addresses on three add-on domains (davearonson.com, davearonson.net, and dare2xl.com). All are set to forward to my gmail account. Nothing is getting through on any of them. Attempts to email from my work account result in:

Unknown address error 550-'5.5.1 User unknown: test@$DOMAIN'

(where $DOMAIN is each of my domains). The last email that I know went via x10, was from yesterday afternoon. Everything I've seen since then, has gone directly to my gmail account.

I saw a support thread advising to go to http://www.brandonsgames.com/checkserver/english.php but that says:

Unable to determine server of $DOMAIN

(see above). It also says (actually before the above):

Debug Info: $ip = 216.245.203.58

which ARIN says is in Limestone Networks, so that's presumably the server, not me.

I have just now gone to my cpanel, and made DARN sure that there were Default Addresses for each of the three, selecting the domain in the upper right (and clicking Go) AND selecting it in the form, and putting my gmail account. Still no go, though I understand that there may be some propagation delay.

Going to any of my domains by web works fine, though.

Username: davearonson
Cpanel username: daronson
Server: Cossacks
Plan: ad-free, with double-double-everything

My SWAG is that this is related to the move. Something got dropped. Or maybe it's in an unstable state, and someone didn't realize they should disable reception in the meantime. (That is, give a "hey, sorry, we can't take that right now, try again later" response, rather than "what, we never heard of that guy, get lost!")

Any clues? Any further info needed?

Other than this outage, my experience with x10 has been great so far....

Thanks,
Dave
Edit:
Until this can be resolved, I'm going to try to set things up so that my email goes thru my domain registrar (GoDaddy), and the web hits are forwarded to here. My DNS-fu is not strong enough to figure out how to set it up so that web goes here and email goes there; if someone could point me toward a good tutorial on that, I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:

Christopher

Retired
Reaction score
We are in the process of transferring servers to a new datacenter. If we are done and your email accounts still do not work let us know.

davearonson

Reaction score
I played more with the DNS last night. Have unforwarded from GoDaddy, set the nameservers to x10's, and set up the MX to point to cossacks by name, since that name is apparently still pointing to the old server that works right. Added GoDaddy's SMTP servers as backups Just In Case. I'm learning quite a lot about DNS in this little adventure!

This AM I checked the site to make sure it was working... and the entire server seems to be unresponsive. (See my findings in the Cossacks Transfer thread.) Grrrr! Oh well, I suppose I can't really complain since it's free, but it is disappointing. I can't even get to my cpanel now to point the whole domain at the old server....

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
Your site is working absolutely fine. Please flush your DNS and try again

davearonson

Reaction score
Your site is working absolutely fine. Please flush your DNS and try again
Tried it from work, which had overnight to let DNS expire. Wasn't working as of about 0800... but is indeed working as of about 0900. Either the stuff that was needed for the full transfer just got finished, or the DNS cache just expired. Sorry, I am not familiar enough with how DNS works to know how to flush it, especially all the way upstream. :dunno: Whatever. I even managed to sftp in, and take the warning off my page. (The temporary redirection fix broke a few things.)

Either way, thanks to you personally for looking into it, and thanks to X10 in general for great free hosting! :biggrin:

Meanwhile, though, my MX records still point to cossacks by name, which (at least according to my DNS here) still points to the old IP. I can't get to cpanel from work (overzealous "security" blocks the port), but when I get home tonight, I'll switch one domain I don't use for important email, over to @, and see how it works....

Thanks,
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.