I want use file instead databases

Trevelin

Reaction score
Can someone help me with that?
Use a File for a LogIn / LogOut Web Sistem?
I have an idea of what kind of job i afront, and how hard that can be. And i know that is much simple with mysql anda databases, but with the limitacions of what can i get without expend a dollar (1 to 5 databases free), i have to find an alternative, so my question, again is: can use a files? :confused:

konekt

Reaction score
Sure, but be ready to do a lot of encryption. The easiest way I can think of is a .txt file with complex encryptions and hashes on the user data. The encryption is necessary because, even with protection, it is relatively easy to access read-files such as .txt.

Mohron

Reaction score
Even if you only have access to one mySQL database for free you can use it. You can create numerous tables inside one database and that way you can manage with only a few.
If you are still set on using files though then the coding for saving and retrieving from files can be relativity easy. But as stated by in the previous post by konekt
be ready to do a lot of encryption.

woiwky

Reaction score
What site is this that's large and complex enough to need more than 5 databases, and yet doesn't generate enough money for you to get a paid server with unlimited databases? I would really try to make do with the mysql databases first if I were you, I think you might be underestimating how much you can store in them. Like Mohron said, you can have any number of tables inside a single db.

However, if you really want to store all the data in files, then I would first suggest to at least store these files in mysql. You'd only need one table for that theoretically. But if you don't consider that an option, then be sure to encrypt these files heavily like the other two said, and definitely keep them outside of the www directory.

tittat

Reaction score
Its better to using the database. htaccess is almost safe, but it all depends on what your protecting. If your protecting very confidential data, I will recommend the database because its hard to get into it,so less chance of cracking. If your protecting data that not really important, then use .htaccess.

konekt

Reaction score
Its better to using the database. htaccess is almost safe, but it all depends on what your protecting. If your protecting very confidential data, I will recommend the database because its hard to get into it,so less chance of cracking. If your protecting data that not really important, then use .htaccess.
I would strongly argue with this. When storing data in files you have to take up a lot of O(n) time writing your own algorithms to sort and shift through the myriad of information. With databases, most of this work is efficiently taken care of. You don't need to do traversals to find a specific row of data, since this is already built into most database structures. If you wrote to files you would need an algorithm to find the data then an algorithm to sort the data, that is twice the prorogation of O(n) inefficiency.

FireLancer

Reaction score
Just use databases. You can easily have an entire website in just one if you design it right eg prefix your tabels
Code:
styles
users
games
games_highscores
games_updates
forum_sections
forum_topics
forum_posts
forum_groups
etc