Ignorance

ShadowmasterX

Reaction score
Here is the situation that you will need to think about:

Lets say that there has been a new disease that no one has known about, would you rather be informed and try to prevent it (no vaccines are available) or be ignorant and live not knowing about the disease?

My answer:

I would choose to be ignorant because more things in my life would run smoothly and regular, but I might do something that might cause me to catch the disease, but this is a problem with no right answer.

So there's my answer, what would you do?
:happysad:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Probably the same thing you'd do, but yet I can deal with worrying about things all the time. So while I'll just ignore it, if I had the smarts for it I'd certainly help try to find a cure for it.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
I would want to know, just so I don't end up watching someone I know die. If any means of prevention can be found, then those measures should be acted upon.

(This response is biased partially because I do plan on pursuing a career in medicine)

unlikely

Reaction score
I know nothing about biology. So I'd rather be oblivious. I mean.. if I knew.. I might just panic.

Kinda like multiple sclerosis. No one knew how you got it 16 years ago. In fact, they told me that because I'm related to someone with MS, I have an 80% chance of NOT getting MS.

Last year I found out that because my father has MS and because I'm female, I have a 70% of having it. Not to mention, because I'm over 16, I already have it if I will be diagnosed positively for it.

Anyway, I got off-topic. I'd rather not know. Cause there's nothing I can do about it.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
If the disease spreads like the plague did, I'd try and do something about it, as it's hard to ignore it then. If it wasn't severe, I'd ignore it.

ShadowmasterX

Reaction score
So if all of you say ignorance... then you all shouldn't be a doctor
lol because once you start learning about unstoppable diseases, you start imagining things OR you start ignoring them, and eventually you will die because you ignored it, or panicked.

Well... I was just wondering... so who wants to be a doctor ? =D

adamlinux

Reaction score
I would want to be informed even if there was no vaccine. Ignorance is not bliss it is an excuse, I like to be informed as much as possible, some people can get by hearing things and having no idea about them, but that would drive me crazy. I will admit if you say nuclear reactor, I don't know its intricate workings but I do know what it is...I dunno, that's just my 2 cents... :biggrin:

BentFX

Reaction score
I want to know!
I don't live my life scared of germs. I grew up playing in the dirt, and as a result I believe my immune system is better than those who live in sanitized fear.

But if there is a killer flu, or new AIDS virus running around I can adjust my routine to help prevent exposure. I can use hand sanitizers and disinfect doorknobs. Just simple steps to decrease the chance of exposure.

In case of a real killer epidemic I would take my kids out of school and hunker down. Stock up on food stuffs and take no unnecessary trips out of my home. I'm not a first responder, don't expect me at work during an outbreak.

I don't want to panic, but I want to be informed and protected in a panic situation.

ShadowmasterX

Reaction score
lol, really guys? Well if you think about it... when I heard that roller coasters can cause heart attacks and my cousin had one... I got more scared going onto it even though i have been on it hundreds of times already...

bookworm99

Reaction score
Here are the questions?

(1) How likely am I to contract this disease?

(2) How well will I be able to protect myself from it?

If both of those are 'very much so' then I would definitely like to know, but even if it was virtually impossible for me to get the disease, or there was no way to treat/prevent it, I'd still want to know.

I don't like being kept in the dark, especially if it's for 'my own good'.

ShadowmasterX

Reaction score
well.. lets say the chances are 50% and there is no cure what so ever
Edit:
and lets say that, the symptoms are coughing sneezing and.... fever, but these symptoms are just cover ups so it can multiply and spread faster

Last edited:

MuRRe

Reaction score
As the human being I am I would want to be informed so that I could do ANYTHING to survive.
This might be very EGO, but the fact is that the same EGO that can save me can save others too.
So it's kinda two sides of the same coin :)

Zdroyd

Reaction score
I would want to know... I would give the information to someone who could stop it.

"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."

Zdroyd

Reaction score
... For a guy with a Brain as an Avatar you really seem hypocritical... (Joking)

But you are right I would rather not know that their is a super powerful alien race coming to destroy Earth in 20 years... Thank You.

ShadowmasterX

Reaction score
... For a guy with a Brain as an Avatar you really seem hypocritical... (Joking)

But you are right I would rather not know that their is a super powerful alien race coming to destroy Earth in 20 years... Thank You.

Yea, well you wouldn't want to know ur gonna die... its like putting a gun to your face...

but yea.... i was just wondering about what you guys thought about it!

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I think it depends on how early you die with this incurable disease. If it does not bother you for 3+ years, it does not pay to worry about it. Otherwise you might want to get crazy with all the stuff you might not get to do, say good-bye, get a tattoo, ect.

Max1337

Reaction score
It all depends on how quickly it spread, if it was to spread to a lot of people, and was life threatening or w/e... Then yea, I'd probably be smart and try to avoid it.

ShadowmasterX

Reaction score
hmmm well lets say it WASNT POSSIBLE to cure or avoid, would you still want to know about it?