I'm finally taking the plunge on reviewing my site...

kinley3

Reaction score
Alright, I have a decent chunk of my site ready. I'm still adding stuff here and there, and more content will fill out the few empty spots. I feel like Axl Rose doing Chinese Democracy, I've taken so long to do anything to the site.

Anyway, it's kind of an "everything is fair game" kinda thing. Info on sports and IRC with some random funny videos and pictures I've accumulated over time - that's the part that's functional as of right now, although updates to these parts of the site haven't been as frequent as I would like.

I have some UNIX/Linux stuff that I want to do, as well as music news, reviews, opinions, etc. I'd also like to put together some simple open source utilities for download that I may come across and may be helpful to someone in the future.

I think you'll notice that I'm a firm believer in the KISS principle as far as design goes. My goal is to provide content that people can get something out of and identify with; not to be the best web designer in the world.

So let 'er rip. Give me suggestions, ideas, feedback, whatever it may be. And thanks for checking out the site:

http://kinley.pcriot.com

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
The content is ambiguous. You should have a little blurb about the site like you do in your post here at the top of the home page, above the recent changes/site news.

There seems to be some confusion between media and downloads. The page is linked as "media", but its URL indicates downloads, and in the site news, you refer to it as "downloads".

You could do with more headers - a main site title above the centre section, maybe "r e c e n t n e w s" above the right section, and maybe a "m e n u" above the menu (although that's not so necessary).

It's not obvious that the "Virus Tracker" link goes to another site - it might be more appropriate to place it in the Favourites section.

The "home" link disappears while you're on the home page. Probably intentional, but just letting you know in case it wasn't.

The actual page layout should be centred, instead of being stuck to the left side. It looks awkward on wider screen resolutions.

The search box is ambiguous about what it searches and with whose engine. Also, it doesn't really fit in visually.

Table based layouts are of the devil. Get some CSS up in there.

The site feels clean overall, and I like that. Anyway, I gotta go and clean up this melted flesh...

--- Mr. DOS

Awesomexr

Reaction score
The text is too small for my liking, which makes it hard to navigate. But your site is different to others, which i suppose is good...

Loving the disclaimer by the way. :)

kinley3

Reaction score
OK, Mr. DoS...I've taken your comments to heart and centered everything...Didn't realize it look awkward in those wider resolutions. Search is gone, as I was planning on chucking that out the window anyway. And yes, it was intentional that the "Home" link isn't on the home page. I'll have an image header on every page linking home eventually, instead of taking up room in the menu.

As for the "ambiguous" content...Are you saying I'm not presenting it well, or are you saying that I should pick a niche and stick to it?

EDIT:
Still working on the divs/CSS. I'm temporarily working with some deprecated HTML code since it's been so long since I actually used it.

Last edited:

gptsven

Reaction score
what about adding some graphics? you have no graphics at all,,,

a top banner, a footer maybe...

Zenax

Reaction score
Hey,

I like this website. Alot! This is the true definition of what we call a smiple web design. You don't need graphics in order for a website to look good. As long as there is some good styling on there, which there is, the website will look fine.

As you have already mentioned the website does require some more content, but other than that I can't really see any problems. Your website loads in a fast enough amount of time for me, as there isn't a lot to load really!

Good Luck!

kinley3

Reaction score
Thanks for your kind words. Will be adding content on a regular basis :)