I'm having a new HDD

Which HDD will be good? it must be more than 320GB SATA2...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bugzon

Reaction score
I'm buying a new HDD. Need your help ...

Which company should I buy ?????

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, all of the companies you suggested above are good, I use Western Digital in my gaming computer, but go with who provides the better drive for the better price. If you have an idea on what you want, you can supply us some links to some drives you might get, and we can tell you how good they should work.

LHVWB

Reaction score
I always try to use Western Digital as well, but for me Seagate can sometimes be cheaper, and I've found that drives from both those companies have been reliable. So just buy the cheapest one from the better brand companies.

bugzon

Reaction score
i can buy...

SEAGATE Barracuda® 7200.10 Desktop Hard Drives
Ultra ATA/100 320GB ST3320620A ST3320620A 320000.0
Ultra ATA/100 400GB ST3400620A ST3400620A 400000.0
Ultra ATA/100 500GB ST3500630A

western digital
WD Caviar® Blue™series 320-640gb sata 2 or up

SAMSUNG
SATA 2 500 gb and up

nexhunter

Reaction score
For me personally I would go with western digital since for every computer that been in my house that's the hard drive company that been in them and they been reliable and this computer I'm on right now been good since 2005, but i know some people might have older drives than 3 years old, and have gone through more viruses and re installation of there os than me

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
I actually have two Maxtors that still work in my house, one is 10GB from my laptop, and one is a 16GB hard drive from an old Dell Dimension XPs PC that had died a couple years ago. Those two drives are around 10 to 11 years old now. I have another Maxtor sitting around, but that drive had died due to static, but I've managed to be able to get my data off of there by using a temporary fix. A family relative of mine still has one of those VERY old 256MB Maxtor drives in a computer that still works but is collecting dust and it still runs without a problem.

Last edited:

nexhunter

Reaction score
now that is old smith, wait didn't seagate buy out maxtor so then the old points go to seagate if there selling any maxtor brand drives

Last edited:

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
I believe so, but Maxtor made some pretty tough drives. That's one thing I can agree on since I still have these drives running perfectly, and they're still on 24/7 as well.

nexhunter

Reaction score
wow those are really nice drives you got, oh yeah bugzon there a 500gb retail maxtor on newegg don't know if the 109$ price tag is in your spending range but that could be a possibility for a new hdd

Last edited:

Nathan H

Reaction score
Personally go for maxotr i literally have a pile of old dead harddrives and none of them are maxtor thers a few seagatres etc but ALL my maxtors going back to my 4gb still work. i don't use em but i tested em occassionaly.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
All three are great in my experience. I have a WD hard drive that has lasted MANY years, but recently I have 3 internal Seagates and 2 external Seagates. They work just fine..

When it comes to buying HDD's, I suggest you find the best bang for buck in terms of space, cache, and write speed.

Hazirak

Reaction score
Seagate makes some excellent hard drives. I have two of them in the machine I'm using to post this, and neither have ever given me problems.

I also have a Western Digital external drive that works fairly well, though I don't know how much that would reflect on their internal drives.

Daniel S

Reaction score
I have never tried a seagate But I have got one internal samsuund HDD and have an external 250gb WD HDD and that has benn very fast even on my usb 1.0 ports on my laptop.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Well, I got 3x400GB SATA Hitachi DeskStars and they've been running for over a year now, they work great; I'd definitely recommend them.

Maxtor and Samsung are two other good brands, but I found that Samsung SpinPoint drives tend to take ages to spin up, and they horrifically slow towards the end of the first year of use.

-Luke.

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
Id recommend Western Digital - had a couple of them running 24/7 for 3 years now and theyre still going strong. Although I think Samsung's are suppost to be really quiet, but I havent tried any.

Alex

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Id recommend Western Digital - had a couple of them running 24/7 for 3 years now and theyre still going strong. Although I think Samsung's are suppost to be really quiet, but I havent tried any.

Alex

Samsung HDs are pretty quiet, but my Hitachi ones are way quieter, almost silent; even during intense usage (e.g. defragmenting, booting up OS and the like).

-Luke.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I would go for a Western Digital. In my opinion they are the most reliable, I have quite a few of their hard drives one of which is still going strong after over 5 years of being used daily.

DragonMaster

Reaction score
Hi,

Maxtor is Seagate's budget brand now, not really worth looking at.

If you want performance without spending for a WD VelociRaptor, Seagate's 7200.11 series and Hitachi's 7K1000 series are worth looking at. The smallest drive is 500GB.

Western Digital's Caviar SE drive are very quiet and run cool, but painfully slow when doing more than one thing with them. There's probably a way to disable the quiet seeking feature over WD's maintenance application (the hard drive will seek faster) but I never got it to work over SATA.

The 7200.10 Seagates are quite good, but get very hot.

You can't really know about drive reliability over people's personal experience. In my case, I've only seen Maxtor and Toshiba drives failing. Others, mostly Seagate, mostly WD, etc. Hitachi's drives have been unreliable in the past, but they're quite good now. One thing is sure, if you have a proper PSU and cooling, you shouldn't have problems.