Image with white background

pasha2k

Reaction score
I am using photoshop and have an image with whitebackground that I can't get rid of. All I want is the image. Is there a easy way to do this in photoshop?

ie.

Attachments

• ist1_3468650-cocktails-collection-green-light.jpg
    ist1_3468650-cocktails-collection-green-light.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 19

moiety

Reaction score
There's a number of ways.
1 make a clipping path round the object, c&p onto another layer
2 use the magic want to select the background, invert selection, c&p
3 on the magic wand button, there's another tool. smart select, or something. use the + tool for the bit you want to keep and - for the bits where it gets it wrong

pasha2k

Reaction score
I just want to save the part the image as a jpeg. no white background. I am still unable to save just the image. Please help
Edit:
I am familiar with going from layer to layer. I just can't save what I clipped out to an jpeg or gif that doesn't show me that white layer around it. How do I get rid of it?

Last edited:

moiety

Reaction score
You can't. JPG comes with a background- no exceptions. Save it as PNG-24. That comes with alpha transparency

Gif does have transparency, but it's either on or off, so it saves all the feathering pixels with the original white background, hence the white halo. You can minimise it by turning matte ( I think it's called) off, but you can't eliminate it totally.

PNG'll do it for you.

Last edited:

pasha2k

Reaction score
I saved it as a png and it still has the white in it. Any other suggestions?

moiety

Reaction score
Post the image. I'll do it. PNG should definitely work. What PS version? PNG-24, not PNG8, yes? Is matte turned off in the PNG dialogue? Is there a matte in the PNG dialogue?

pasha2k

Reaction score
PS CS4. I saved it as a regular png file. Where do I find PNG-24 and where is the matte to turn off? How am I saving this ---a regular save as or the web services?

moiety

Reaction score
Use the 'save for web & devices'. PNG-24 in the format dropdown. If it gives you a matte option, change to 'none'. Then you should be good to go.

Any white left will be feathering where you've clipped it.