In the market for a laptop

pchin26

Reaction score
I need one that will last me for at least a year or two... Windows based....

Any recommendations?

Cost should be less than $1000.

Thnks

Darkmere

Reaction score
wow under a 1000$ ... Laptops are way more expensive than desktops. IMO you can not get a really good laptop for 1000$. But you can try Walmart or Bestbuy might have one as well but you will not have much of a choice

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
You can get reliable laptops for around $500 that are plenty fast for multimedia purposes. When trying out laptops at the store (if you are going to get one from a big box location), I would check to make sure they run cool to the touch. Nothing kills a laptop more than heat. Otherwise, just Google around for information on laptops, and how hot they run along with reliability.

gouri78

Reaction score
u can go through hp or lenovo and select best configuration that suits as per your profession
can get very nice laptop uptil this range.

rolandr

Reaction score
HP would never be on my list of laptops. Mine lasted 1 year and two weeks, two weeks after the warranty expired. Motherboard went kaput. I even asked the computer repair shop if it was feasible to have the motherboard replace, and the repair person said "... that motherboard is notorious of having problems. It was a mid-price 17.3" screen HP laptop.

... I suppose perhaps the more expensive HP are more reliable but I don't know. I know many other rant about their experience with their HP laptops => overheating! Well, laptops do generate a lot of heat.

For $1000, gosh, there's plenty to choose from. I would go with a familiar brand. I heard the ASUS are quite good, a bit pricey.

I too am in a market for a decent price laptop. I am a computer programmer analyst so I just need a reliable decent laptop, I don't need what computer gamers need, hi acceleration graphic cards, premium hardware etc ...

Member Darkmere must have heavy demands for a computer 'cause for $1000, you could get a fairly decent laptop in my opinion.

My two Dells, (mid 90s, 2004) are still with me doing fine and I used to them at least 8+ hours a day.

Gosh I think you could get laptop with Blu-Ray drives for under $1000.

locogeek94

Reaction score
I was looking at ads, and today you can get a powerful laptop for under $1K (BestBuy, Office Max, Costco, possible Walmart).
Just get the basics, preferably at least a Intel Core I5 processor (I7 would be best), 6G ram, min 500 G HD (at least 5400rpm), DVD±R/RW (maybe even Blu-Ray) - All for under $1K.
I hate to mention brands, because everyone has their opinions, like buying a car.