Index of /

Status
Not open for further replies.

bidzey75

Reaction score
I noticed that when the default index file is not in a folder the server shows the content of that folder. My suggestion is that the server should give a 403 page when the default page (index.html, index.htm, index.php, default.php etc...) is not present in the folder. I know in apache this is quicky done in the httpd.conf file.

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
It is quickly done by creating/modifying your .htaccess file. Add this line:
Options -Indexes

If you're editing using the cPanel file manager, you'll need to enable viewing of dotfiles.

Last edited:

bidzey75

Reaction score
I know you can override configurations with an htacces file, but why have it at 100 places when you can do it once for everybody, it's more secure to have it by default, less communication traveling to the server less work for the server. It was my suggestion to have it as a default setting.

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
It's not done for everyone and it's nice for people to take as much control of their site as possible. I assume it'd also be harder to override if you want the directory listing. And to be honest, I don't think one line of code is going to make much of a difference to a server dealing with however many thousands of requests daily.

bidzey75

Reaction score
i didn't want to start a new thread because I don't really need support as such, but I just seen in this forum an example of the 0 tolerance and was wondering... if someone has a forum on their site of their own and someone posts something that is illegal, will the owner of the forum get suspended or is there a lenience in this case. Say someone uploaded an offensive file and the moderator didn't catch it before x10 did.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
If someone has a forum, he is expected to moderate it. If illegal/offensive material is left on a forum for any length of time, the owner would be responsible for it.

You are not supposed to have a file upload site. That alone will get you suspended.

Status
Not open for further replies.