Industry's First Terabyte disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmbejoy

Reaction score
Call/Recall Inc., has developed and tested the industry's first terabyte optical disk, and is entering into product design and discussion with leading manufacturing partners. It is based on 2-Photon-3D technology, and would be jem for enterprise storage archiving and consumer markets too. Imagine 1000 high quality DVD movies in one Disk, tempting isnt it. It uses "near-field" lens and fluorescent media technology to record hundreds of layers three-dimensionally; in comparison, Blu-ray records to the surface. It is more that just DVD recording because the near-field lens can precisely and dynamically focus into the depth of the fluorescent media, taking advantage of the full depth of standard 120mm, DVD-size media to achieve recording densities as good as or better than holographic technologies.

Slothie

Reaction score
Not quite the first terrabyte disk, probably the first OPTICAL terabyte disk :D

I've been using more than 1TB in striped arrays for quite some time now

Slothie

Reaction score
Won't be available anytime soon though I think. Also the article doesn't state read/write times.

fireball87

Reaction score
Imagine 1000 high quality DVD movies in one Disk, tempting isnt it.
Something tells me they're not gonna make entertainment systems for those. And after all this anticipation of fox's "all of last decade collection", sadly the special features on the thing i've heard are far less impressive.

tmbejoy

Reaction score
definately not, initialy it would be used by enterprises for backup solution. but sooner or later as the technology becomes older and affordable it would be definately used for entertainment purpose.
Edit:
Gosh read/write time must be huge.

However hurrah!
its much faster than hollographic disks about 100MB/sec

Last edited:

mr kennedy

Reaction score
well the hardware industry would have surely done something to support this before it is standardized ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.