install drupal

abhi666

Reaction score
hello
plz do not mind for posing this question
i am new to web designing, i know html and java script
i am even new to the concept of content management softwares
well my question is how to upload drupal,(i mean to which folder of cpanel) just want to try and see how it works
plz do help me
thank u in advance and
Happy new year to all the members

bye
have a great day

lionheart8

Reaction score
You have 3 ways to install Drupal.

1. The simplest way is after logging in to your account, look for "Fantastico" towards the bottom of the page.
Assuming you still have free databases, select Drupal and you will be asked a few questions to prepare for the automatic installation, like the folder you want Drupal installed. You could call it "drupal" ... so your Drupal site will be accessed at www.yoursiteaddress.com/drupal ... or give it another name if you want.
If you want it installed directly in your root directory (public_html),ie so your drupal site is accessed at www.yoursiteaddress.com, I think you leave that directory field blank. Take note of what you chose so u know which address to use to access your site after installation.

You will also be required to fill in your Drupal site administrator username & password & the administrator email address to have some site details sent to u.
After that, you click ok, etc so the installation will be made by Fantastico, which will include creating the database.
The disadvantage here is they dont have the up to date version 5.5 (with some critical security patch) and it might take a while to update (Fantastico), though you can manually update after installation, but this might be a little complicated, though doable if u read the update instructions on the Drupal site. I think the Fantastico version at x10hosting currently has version 5.3
If the installation is successful, u can log in your Drupal site with the admin. username + password your fed in above. The address to your site is shown.

2. The other method sounds more complicated but it not and is more advantageous or more mature ;) . It presupposes u having some knowledge of using the cpanel.
After logging in to your cpanel go down the page to the DATABASE section, create a new database eg. called drupal + a user eg also called drupal. Take note of your database password.
cpanel renames the database name to yourcpanelusername_drupal & username yourcpanelusername_drupal ... If the username is longer than I think 8 characters it cuts off some.
WRITE the 2 down + the password as you will need them later.
AFTER that, look for "Add User To Database" ... on the Database page.

Select user yourcpanelusername_drupal & database yourcpanelusername_drupal & "Submit" to connect the two.
I think at this point you will be taken to a page where you have to give your database user "privileges". SELECT ALL privileges and confirm and that is all with the database creation.

Assuming you have downloaded the Drupal 5.5 file onto you PC from drupal.org, it is time to upload it. If you have an ftp client like filezilla or whatever... upload it uncompressed(unzipped) ... as "drupal" to the public_html file if u want your Drupal site to be www.mysiteaddress.com/drupal. If u want it to be www.mysiteaddress.com ... then simply open your uncompressed Drupal folder and drag & drop all the files & folders as they appear into public_html.
If u have no ftp client, then go via cpanel to filemanager, => public_html and while there, look for the upload button. Click it & then navigate to your pc where you have the STILL COMPRESSED Drupal file, just as u got it from Drupal.org ... & upload it.
Once in the public_html folder, right click that file & select uncompress ((I think.)
When it finishes, I think u will have a "drupal" file in your public_html
Now you are ready to install.
I think you type in the browser .. www.yoursiteaddress.com/drupal (or wherever your Drupal folder is located) and you will be taken to the installation page.
You will be asked a number of questions
including ...

database name: yourcpanelusername_drupal
database user: yourcpanelusername_drupal
database password: your database password
These are the ones you set up above.

Drupal assumes your database server is "localhost" ... which because of recent Mysql changes at x10hosting, at least for free accounts is no longer the case, BUT "mysql.x10hosting.com" ... and this if I remember the Drupal installation page well ... the form for this is hidden, .... and is below the above form fields. So look for it somewhere below.
(Actually during Fantastico installation, if there are any database errors, it may a result of this new database server changes).

If all the given information is complete & correct the installation takes a few seconds and will lead you to a page where as the administrator you can create the first account, which has full administrator rights.
If there are database related errors, check your db name/username/password & the database server name.

3. If you already have Drupal site installed on your PC and working ....
Follow method 2 to create the database, database user + password via cpanel.
Go to "phpmyadmin" on the main database page and navigate to the database you created.
While there, import all the Drupal database tables.

Upload your drupal files in a similar way. ... following the same instructions. If u want your site as www.mysiteaddress.com, open your drupal folder & drag & drop them in the public_html directory via an ftp client. If u want them in www.mysiteaddress.com/drupal ... then the whole unopened Drupal folder into public_html ...

BEFORE you upload, open your Drupal folder, open sites => default=> & edit settings.php
look for the line with the database info by scrolling not too far down and update it ...
the database name/dbusername/dbpassword + replace "localhost" with "mysql.x10hosting.com"
Then upload. If this is correctly done, your site should be accessible like it was on the pc.

If you get any problems, u copy and paste any errors you get here.

Good luck!

Last edited:

abhi666

Reaction score
thank u very much i will do installation now and will let u know if there are any errors
thank u once again