Installing a new Processor?

Sup3rkirby

Reaction score
Most people say you should upgrade your processor, especially in my case.

I have an Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.0 GHz(E2180). But right now this is the 'weakest' part of my system. So since i've been doing some upgrades lately, I thought I'd get a new CPU.

There are two I've been looking at, but I believe only one of them will work for my PC(the slower and slightly more expensive one:().

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116072&Tpk=e5200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116070&Tpk=E2220

The E5200 is still a Pentium Dual Core, but using the page below I found that it has a 45 nm architexture, while my current one and the E2220 has a 65 nm architexture.
http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/chart/pentium_dual-core.htm

This is why I fear I won't be able to get it. But I was hoping some hardware expert or just someone more knowledgeable on the matter could help me out.

I found a nice tutorial for installing it(even though I knew how to do this and to take extremely great care and caution).
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2231

So, is there any chance? Oh and yes, I'm sure you would like to know my motherboard, right? According to Newegg.com I have the following motherboard:
NVIDIA GeForce 7050 and nForce 620i chipset

I tried NVIDIAs site, but the only compatibility list I found didn't have either CPU on it. And I'm on a budget, so I can't spend very much even though I'd like a much faster CPU.

vol7ron

Reaction score
A few things:

1) Given the processors you listed, the E5200 is $6 cheaper than the E2220 on Newegg (20081009). This being said, the E5200 is a better model anyhow, so this is already a deal.

2) Given the motherboard specs you listed, the nForce 6 series should work with the Wolfdale procs. You're right that it made no mention of the Allendale, but according to the spec sheet, it's only the Quad core processors that the nForce 6 series would not work with (there is an exception that I don't think you fit into). The mobo seems to work with other lower series and the E2220 is comparable to the E5200, so both should work.

The 65nm and 45nm should have no affect at all. All that means is that they're able to pack more transistors onto a die. Both use the 775 form factor, so they'll both fit. The Quad Cores are probably more demanding, both energy and bus wise, so that's probably why they won't work with your mobo - it'd be like putting a Ferrari engine on a go-cart, the thing would just fall apart.

3) I was going to say that the Nehalem is getting ready to come out and push prices of all the other procs down, but it might not affect you, since you're buying on a low budget anyhow. I would say buy the 5200 now, since it's still available and lower in price than the 2220. The 5200 has a bigger cache, faster stock clock, and requires less power - therefore it should be more overclockable then the 2220 and still better out of the box.

While the article shows you how to install the CPU, it does not do a good job at showing how to put on thermal paste, which is the most important part to installing a CPU. Too much and there'll be too many leakage or too many air holes and not enough vacuum; too little and your CPU could fry/shut off. Make sure you find a better site that explains this and the proper techniques to put on a heatsink.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Sup3rkirby

Reaction score
Weird edit(merged a probably accidental double post, lol).

Thank you very much vol7ron. I honestly was just worried about the architexture. I couldn't find anything online that said for sure you could use a 45 nm on a system that came with a 65 nm. I did find that the 45 nm does use less power, which would be a plus.

I am glad to hear it should more than likely work with my system. It is a great deal on my end, since I can pay a bit less for a better processor.

I did see a few negatives about the stock heatsink for the processor, but i'm hoping this isn't a definite thing and that the heatsink they give me will be find in my system.