Installing a wireless network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Origin

Reaction score
I have an Airlink+ AR410W wireless router, a compaq laptop with a wireless PCI card (also by airlink+), and another compaq laptop with an internal wireless card (Turion-64 has it). Both already has internet connection through the router, the modem, ultimately to the ISP (Comcast). I just want to set up a wireless network so that I can transfer files and such across these two (and new laptops we'll be buying.)

Help? I'll offer 100 points and my goodwill :p

Flashgear

Reaction score
Origin said:
I have an Airlink+ AR410W wireless router, a compaq laptop with a wireless PCI card (also by airlink+), and another compaq laptop with an internal wireless card (Turion-64 has it). Both already has internet connection through the router, the modem, ultimately to the ISP (Comcast). I just want to set up a wireless network so that I can transfer files and such across these two (and new laptops we'll be buying.)

Help? I'll offer 100 points and my goodwill :p

:squint: did you read the installtion manual? lol

Conor

Reaction score
XP makes it very easy for anyone to setup a router. Just run the network setup :)

TheJeffsta

Reaction score
lol, Make sure you secure your network using WEP or WPA. My aunty thought that since she lived in a poorish area, that none of her neighbours would have wireless networks - she didnt secure it. A few days later she gets a print coming through from one of her neighbours saying 'you should really secure your network'.

The Windows XP wireless network setup wizard will usually allow you to use an automatically generated WPA/WEP encyrption code, or you could make your own one up.

N

Nathan

Well, this would be boringly easy if it was Linksys. But I don't know the IP for your WAP when you have it set up so I can't tell you all the steps to take...

Hint, buy a Linksys.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Dewayne said:
Well, this would be boringly easy if it was Linksys. But I don't know the IP for your WAP when you have it set up so I can't tell you all the steps to take...

Hint, buy a Linksys.

lol i got a belkin
their tech support sucks! i ended up ignoring the guy after he repeated the same process 2-3 times and kept saying that he needed to 'check his research' while ignoring i figured out how to change my encryption setting temporarily, allow the wireless to connect, and then reenabling the 64bit encryption

Origin

Reaction score
Yes I did, but unfortunately Airlink is not very comprehensive.

And Conor, yes. I have several XP laptops. I tried the network set up, but I don't think it worked. Maybe it's my firewall... I do have WEP though (non-auto)

Thanks guys. I'll get back to you guys when I figure out whether it works or not.

TheJeffsta

Reaction score
D-Link is the easiest to setup! I use the D-Link DSL-G604T (ADSL Router + Wireless Router), it has a range of 100m, max. transfer speed of 54Mbps... ya great.

To be honest, I haven't ever heard of AirLink at all :S

Origin

Reaction score
Cheap stuff.

Anyway, somehow I managed to get it to work. I sent 100 to Jacob because he provided some links XD Anyway, I got two XP Home SP2s linked. What about the professional?

SEÑOR

The Guy Everyone Hates
Reaction score
TheJeffsta said:
D-Link is the easiest to setup! I use the D-Link DSL-G604T (ADSL Router + Wireless Router), it has a range of 100m, max. transfer speed of 54Mbps... ya great.

To be honest, I haven't ever heard of AirLink at all :S

DLink is great their staff are very helpful. Cal your router company for tech support.

Origin

Reaction score
That's one of my problems. My tech support sucks. Maybe this was why the products were so damn cheap XD

Status
Not open for further replies.