Installing Cutenews

Reaction score
This is for webmasters with a medium-low knowledge of website management, those who have barely approached the website world, know nothing about MySQL databases...and consider Wordpress something who came from outer space. :biggrin:

Everybody must start somewhere when managing a website; aside from the website contents, the easiest way to do that is to install a News Publishing Tool, who will allow you to easily add and make your content visible to your visitors. Back when I started more than two years ago, I used Cutenews, which is probably the easiest Publishing Tool you can think off; here, I'm gonna explain myself how to install it and I'll give you some links to more tutorials (same ones I learned from).
First, let's make a list of the thing you need.
  1. A working website;
  2. An FTP account;
  3. Some knowledge of the above;
  4. WinZip, WinRar or any compression/decompression tool (like 7-zip or Jzip);
Now, we can start with the actual installation.
  1. Go to http://korn19.ch/coding/utf8-cutenews/ and download the script;
  2. Unzip the archive with your chosen tool - you should now have folder named Cutenews;
  3. Go to your FTP and create a new folder named "Cutenews";
  4. Copy everything inside your downloaded Cutenews folder into your FTP;
  5. Once that's done correctly, you should see a list of files and folders such as data, inc, rte, skins, etc.; you need to change permission to these folders in order for them to work properly. Said process is called CHMODing, and I will go into it later; what you need to know now is that - for Cutenews to works - folders must have 777 as permission;
  6. Once that it's done, go to yoursite.com/cutenews/index.php (YOURSITE.COM must be replaced with your site url);
  7. If you did everything correctly, you should see a greeting page with a "Proceed Installation"; click that, and Cutenews will automatically guide you along the full script installation.
Before complimenting you for the successful installation, I need to explain what exactly CHMODing is.
CHMOD is a functions who allow users to make changes to certain folders and/or files by changing the permissions for them; it seems difficult, but explaining it is much harder than actually doing it. It only takes a couple of steps.
  1. Log into your FTP, and click on the file/folder you want to CHMOD - in certain FTP clients, you just have to right-click to see the chmod option, whereas in other you have to right-click and select the file Properties to see the section;
  2. In the CHMOD section, there's always a box containing a three-digits number (generally is 644 or 666); you have to change that number to 777 and you're done.
You've just successfully CHMODed something. :biggrin: Repeat that for every item in need of CHMODing and it's over.

Cutenews is fully installed; you can start adding your content and publishing your news. ENJOY!! :)

Here are some links to more Cutenews tutorials (both installation and other).

http://vivid-avenue.net/
http://tutorials.animeoasis.net/

Last edited: