Installing Joomla

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
My nephew wants to create a website for a contest in his school and he's asked me to create one for him. The website doesn't have to be online. It should be submitted via a zip file. I was wondering whether it was possible to use Joomla to create it. How do I go about creating it without having to upload it on any server etc. Also it requires databases and I have no idea how to create them. Is it possible to do this? It is not intended for online viewing, just submitting the files is what is required.

ViriiGuy

Reaction score
Joomla must be uploaded to a webserver in order to work. Joomla is nothing more than a content management system. At the very least you will need a webserver with php and mysql.

Think of it like this, Joomla is not a website authoring tool, it is a website skeleton. It is the frame you hang the pages on so to speak. Now if you wanted you could install a XAMPP (all in one server package) onto your windows PC and build it locally. You can find one here, http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

However, for the school to see the site, they will have to install Joomla as well.

Now, help aside... This is a school contest for the students, but he wants you to do it for him? That is not entirely fair now is it? ;)

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Only problem is if it's supposed to be submitted in a zip file, Joomla wouldn't play nice with that.

I mean you'd have the joomla install then the sql database install, but I think the idea was to submit it in zip file format so they can extract it to the hard drive, doubleclick the index.html, and view it without a webserver.

If the teacher's ok with having to do some ground work just to view it it'd be fine, but if they're anything like my teachers used to be, they won't bite on that particular idea.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah that's true. My apologies.

No need to apologize, I don't know what the teacher's willing to do. If they're willing to install the local testing thing then by all means use it, but if it's what I'm betting it is, it's a nice trick to essentially force the students to not use a pre-made CMS :p

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
I don't think I would go in for Joomla. I don't know if the teacher can do all that. And it has to be submitted to other sponsors, I don't think I teacher will come in between. I think I'll use Dreamweaver, though it is a bit irritating.

Dan

Reaction score
If it's a competition though, it really isn't fair if you do for him!! I think you should just teach him how to do it then leave him to design it himself.

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
If it's a competition though, it really isn't fair if you do for him!! I think you should just teach him how to do it then leave him to design it himself.

Don't get me wrong. I was the first one who saw the contest. And it is not a school contest and it is open for all residents of the country, but since I am not a resident of that country, my nephew is. I asked him what he thought of joining, he said if I was willing to do it, then fine.

coolv1994

Reaction score
i think if you install apatche, php, and mysql you can u se it on the computer.

Dan

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I was the first one who saw the contest. And it is not a school contest and it is open for all residents of the country, but since I am not a resident of that country, my nephew is. I asked him what he thought of joining, he said if I was willing to do it, then fine.

Oh, ok.