Installing Linux

steronius

Reaction score
"sudo mousepad /etc/X11/xorg.conf"

(sudo <- root mode / mousepad <- editor)

taha116

Reaction score
I tried that bit steronius... I actually screwd around with it too much and then the GUI was vaped like u said it might so i did the text login but it wouldnt copy my backup said it didnt exist... Did the same thing when i first tried making a backup so i opened it and pressed save as, and thats how i made my backup.

Now it dosent matter as i swiched to ubuntu, i am using all my so far instruction to bring it as far as i did... im gona try battle tanks and see if there is a color issue and ill let you guys know.

Is it easier to change color depth in regular ubuntu?

steronius

Reaction score
Is it easier to change color depth in regular ubuntu?
no, i think it's the same, all depends on your video card and if the driver has a config utility, otherwise you'll be editing the xorg.conf.

you probably have a low end graphic card. but none the less, video config always aggravated me in linux. personally, i'm about to upgrade to an nvidia card just due to linux. my older ATI isn't cutting it, since ATI(AMD) isn't supporting an older card on the newer xorg.

i know you just went ubuntu, your text editor will now be "gedit" rather than "mousepad" , anyway, you had:
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

*If* your video card supports it, you can edit that to:
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024" "1280x800" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1280x1024" "1280x800" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

you can see i've only added two subsections, one for 24 bit, another for 16bit.

also, if you screen resolution cannot go to 1280x??? then delete those and stick with 1024x768 as the highest. then again, if it supports higher (or different) then put that instead. List highest to lowest.

also, if you botch your xorg.conf again, you can try the command "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg". it should get you to a base working xorg.

p.s. the only different between xubuntu and ubuntu is the Desktop GUI, and therefore some of the apps that run in it:
Xubuntu uses http://www.xfce.org/ , and
Ubuntu uses http://www.gnome.org/

Last edited:

taha116

Reaction score
I know xubuntu is suposed 2 be faster but honestly ubuntu is running faster... Also there are no more color problems.... I treid usining wget for java and now im stuck at this blue screen in the termenal wich says ok to accept tos and stuff like that but i cant press ok or type in anything. What am i suposed 2 do?

So far ive manged to scroll down to the bottom with arrow keys but thats it

Ok its now installing i figured it out... It was retarded though

1.Now its installed i even went to add/remove and installed some jav runtime stuff that it said was required for GUI web balbalbalba I tested it by runing runescape and it wont work, I also checked browser settings... its enabled.

2.My other problem is this:

I installed DosBox Emulator but i cannot figure out how i can install any .exe game ?

I have this file saved on my desktop "lion_king.exe" And want to install it... some help plz, i never learned how to use dos... just need to know how to install old games and configure the controls. Thats all

lion_king.exe

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
concerning your java problem. Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit? Also, are you sure your firefox is 3.0.11?

taha116

Reaction score
Well no updates since i used update manager have been prompted... nothing from firefox either.

Im preaty sure my PC is 32 bit

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
OK, go to firefox, hit Help and then from there select About Mozilla Firefox.

Either cut and paste what it says or give me a screenshot.
Here's to show you what I mean.

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    290 KB · Views: 21

taha116

Reaction score
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.12) Gecko/2009070811 Ubuntu/9.04 (jaunty) Firefox/3.0.12

Yah the java issue is starting to become important to me. The most important being that i want to use webmin but its filemanager needs java and it wont work otherwise.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I haven't brought this up sooner because I misread your first post. To run java applets on the web, you need a special browser plugin besides the Java Runtime Environment installed on your computer.

No wait, I might be mixing this up with flash. :eek4:

Check this page out: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
Edit:
or try this: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux-amd64.html#java-sun
Edit:
This page: http://javatester.org/installing.html
caused firefox to pop up a bar saying that the Java(TM) plugin was missing and asked if I wanted it to install it. That got java working for me.
Edit:
Or (you can tell I'm getting desperate for solutions) here's a quote from the MozillaZines

run this command in the plugins directory of your Firefox installation:
ln -s /your_path_here/java/j2re1.5.0/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so

Last edited:

taha116

Reaction score
Wow... I must apologize i fixed my java problem and am embarased to admit how i did it... I went through soo much work... check FF bothered you guys went to the site.... did manual instilation.. went to add/remove and installed 2 more java aps... then i tested by visitng runescape and loging into webmin and going to File manger wich requires java.... they said it wasnt installed... then i went to x10 irc... and it prompted the java install.... Wow..... I am sorry about that. So ive managed to get far, many thanks 2 you guys... I setup xampp and secured it.. got a firewall and opened right ports. Just need to port forward from my router soon.. I solved color problems and now the only things left i can think of are two:

1.How do i use Synaptic package manager... dont get it at all. (to be honest i never spent more than 45 seconds on it at a time so thats probably why.)

(Never mind this part ive changed my mind read last paragraph for details)
2. I want to remove webmin (wich i installed earlier) from my computer. Its not in add/remove aps i believe i downloaded the package and installed it (im guessing synaptic package manager will be involved thus the above question). I am searching their annoyingly numerous options for a uninstall button.. no success yet.

So bascily i dont have any easy way to CHMOD local files so i like the webmin filemangers ability to chmod.... Any way to do this better? If so then ill unistall hapily.. it makes me nervous leaving it like that.. could it be a security issue? I am testing out some FTP clients that i could use localy for easy Chmoding for now.

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Lol, I should of thought of trying the IRC earlier. I guess I just don't visit it enough. Anyways, I figured out the way to do this without having to visit a website for anyone who comes asking in the future.

Synaptic is under: System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager

steronius

Reaction score
the easiest way to chmod is to use the chmod command, lol.

if you dont know how to use it, in the terminal, type "man chmod", it will display some info, use up and down arrows to scroll, press "q" to quit.
chmod commands that are useful might include:
chmod +x filename -- add executable attribute to the file
chmod +w filename -- add the writable attribute to the file
chmod 755 filename -- make the file writable by yourself and read/executable for everyone else

man is short for manual. so you can read a manual for just about any command. "ls" is the command for listing files. so "man ls" would give you a manual on using ls and you would find the command "ls -l -h" useful.

and from that you can ls your files, find your files, then chmod your files.

actually i find googling chmod a little more helpful than the 'manual'.

now for synaptic, it's super fricken easy, just spend more than 45 seconds in it, also follow this link if you need: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto

Last edited:

taha116

Reaction score
So i can numericaly CHMOD in terminal? Kool !

And ICHWAR lol i know were Synaptic is its just confusing using it....

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Just use the quick search option in Synaptic to search for webmin or what ever package you want.
Edit:
Once you've finished administering your system and have settled down to just using it, you mind find trying this out to be a little fun!

Last edited:

taha116

Reaction score
Noooooooooooooo FN way!!!!!!!!!!!!! holy crap that is sooooooo koool... But that isnt really gona endup like mac right? like the backend code and compatibility.... like i wont be able to run mac only stuff on it right?

zapzack

Reaction score
You just can't beat a real mac :p (Macs would be better than the rest if they had those Compiz effects though)

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Noooooooooooooo FN way!!!!!!!!!!!!! holy crap that is sooooooo koool... But that isnt really gona endup like mac right? like the backend code and compatibility.... like i wont be able to run mac only stuff on it right?
It won't run mac apps, but it looks just like a mac. If you want a free mac, go try out BSD. That's what the mac os is. Just BSD with Aqua.

bherong

Reaction score
i used linux 5 months ago.. UBUNTU to be specific..
at first i was happy coz i feel geek..;);):biggrin::biggrin:..
i installed it and used it for a month... i have no internet connection but still i manage a copy of it..
but when in terms of installing other software such as Movie player and other it, gives me pain...
i'm not against linux, i love it, but my only pain in the butt is i get a real frustration in installing software... it's easy if you have internet connection... i don't have one.. "i am in a cafe that's why i can post here":biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:... hehehehehe,....!!!!
well i guess Windows have advantage in software installation.... am i right..?
hmmmm...
i'm planning to install my UBUNTU on my Machine using VMWARE...
any guide for this...
i really want to learn linux...