Installing Win xp on an Toshiba Laptop a215 s7444

fllrfth

Reaction score
Trying to install win xp on a Toshiba Laptop a215 s7444, The laptop has no operating system on it at all (it was deleted), and no recovery disk to reinstall the preinstalled os. When trying to install win xp from an cd (the system boots from the disk drive) the system reads "no hard drive" and when the cd is removed from the disk drive and rebooted the system reads no operating system , I've read that it's feasible to go into the bios and configure the SATA option from ACHI to Compatible, that is not possible with the a215 s7444, so any help would be appreciated.

kestrel1

Reaction score
Is there any options in the BIOS to enable the SATA drive to look like an IDE/ATA drive?
If not you would need drivers for your SATA controller so that the XP install can use them.
Ever thought of using Linux?

fllrfth

Reaction score
Thanks Kestrel1,

There isn't any options for configuring in bios on that model, would you know what drivers are needed for the SATA controller.

Thanks

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
Trying to install win xp on a Toshiba Laptop a215 s7444, The laptop has no operating system on it at all (it was deleted), and no recovery disk to reinstall the preinstalled os. When trying to install win xp from an cd (the system boots from the disk drive) the system reads "no hard drive" and when the cd is removed from the disk drive and rebooted the system reads no operating system , I've read that it's feasible to go into the bios and configure the SATA option from ACHI to Compatible, that is not possible with the a215 s7444, so any help would be appreciated.

lol I know exactly what your problem is.

I also have a Toshiba laptop, and I had to go through extreme difficulty to get my Windows Vista and Windows 7 installations working properly.

Toshiba uses some retarded thing for connecting its hard drives to the computer or whatnot and makes it so nothing except itself can see itself. That didn't make sense.

Anyway, you need to provide it with a driver. You can download it at Toshiba's support website by clicking the "Download" link:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp#

Save that to a USB drive or other external drive, plug it in during installation, and load it up by clicking "Load Driver."

Also, I think you have to set your boot order to make HDD come first. I don't know why, but I have a faint memory of that having to do with something.

fllrfth

Reaction score
Thanks adam,

I followed the procedure that worked for you and your model, unfortunately it didn't work for me and mine, I'm not sure if the drivers were incorrect or what. When trying to install the driver(s) (downloaded from the link you provided) from an USB drive there were several different messages IE "no drivers found", "driver could not be installed- contact your vender for an updated driver" etc... at which point I tried several other drivers from that link and still no luck, well at any rate I'm Thankful you took the time.

Peace.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
Thanks adam,

I followed the procedure that worked for you and your model,unfortunately it didn't work for me and mine, I'm not sure if the drivers were incorrect or what. When trying to install the driver(s) (downloaded from the link you provided) from an USB drive there were several different messages IE "no drivers found", "driver could not be installed- contact your vender for an updated driver" etc... at which point I tried several other drivers from that link and still no luck, well at any rate I'm Thankful you took the time.

Peace.

That's too bad, I thought it would solve the problem. :(

Did you try calling Toshiba customer support about it? I know for a fact and through experience that Toshiba has issues following normal hard drive conventions, so you always have to install some ridiculous drivers to be able to use their stuff. I'm sure they know about it too, and would probably already have a solution for you.