Installing Windows 98 as your secondary operating system.

Reaction score
In the Windows 98 install BIOS, will it ask you what partition you want to install Windows 98 on? Or if you want to create a new one? Because I want to install it on a primary partition, but not my C drive, which has Windows XP on it. Is this possible?

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
If you are going to install windows 98 after xp it will overwrite xp bootloader and you will no longer be able to boot into xp.For that you have to reinstall xp bootloader using xp cd.Then you have to add the entry of windows 98 in boot.ini file.I saw a windows 98 installer in my friend's system, that installs windows 98 using exe file and it don't affect bootloader.This installer can be run inside xp and you don't need to care about partition.Whenever you want to remove it just uninstall it using xp's add or remove control option.
I never installed windows 98 so I can't tell, it will ask for partitions or not, if we install it from boot cd.Since 98 came after 95, it should ask.

leo1954au

Reaction score
you have too install win 98 first then xp after to boot strait into xp or as bhupendra2895 said installing 98 after xp will course your system to boot strait into 98 also a lot of the latest graphic cards don't have drivers for 98 these days

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
As a secondary operating system? If you want Windows 98 on a "Primary" partition, you will need to install a secondary hard disk into your PC, preferably something that was around during the time of Windows 98 (Older PATA drives) and then modify the Boot loader for Windows XP to boot to Windows 98 or use the Boot Menu in your BIOS to switch between drives. Otherwise, I strongly suggest loading Windows 98 into a virtual machine such as VirtualBox as if you have a newer machine, you will be under-utilizing it most likely with Windows 98.

meskarune

Reaction score
As a secondary operating system? If you want Windows 98 on a "Primary" partition, you will need to install a secondary hard disk into your PC, preferably something that was around during the time of Windows 98 (Older PATA drives) and then modify the Boot loader for Windows XP to boot to Windows 98 or use the Boot Menu in your BIOS to switch between drives. Otherwise, I strongly suggest loading Windows 98 into a virtual machine such as VirtualBox as if you have a newer machine, you will be under-utilizing it most likely with Windows 98.

Yeah, I was about to say. I seem to also remember Win. 98 having stability problems. Isn't that the OS which made BSoD famous? I do miss the esoteric themes and sound effects though. Haunted house FTW

deroba

Reaction score
Windows 98 was the OS I learned a lot of stuff. It's good for a lot of things, but virtualizing it is better.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Yeah, I was about to say. I seem to also remember Win. 98 having stability problems. Isn't that the OS which made BSoD famous? I do miss the esoteric themes and sound effects though. Haunted house FTW

I still have the Haunted House screen saver some place on a very old hard drive on my network. It was a part of the Microsoft Plus! pack back in the days of Windows 98. It started off with an Organ sound. But yes, those were the days, and yes, Windows 98 loved to BSoD whenever the PC had any sort of trouble.

slacker_

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and install it in a virtual disk using Virtual Box. By pressing CTRL + F the virtual machine will go full screen and there will be no notable difference to a "real" installation.