Intel Core i5 661- Cool, affordable and fast

rjraaz

Reaction score
intel-corei5-600.jpg
Intel's Core i5 processors haven't seen the limelight for inexplicable reasons. The 661 is built on a 32nm process that helps it run really cool while running at a blistering 3.33GHz This is regular stuff, however, and what makes the CPU really special is the addition of an integrated GPU on the CPU die. This CPU is based on a 1156 LGA socket and although P55 boards are supported, it's obviously designed for the newer Intel H55 and H57 chipsets that can make use of the integrated graphic solution. Testing the i5 661 we must say it's very cool - the CPU never crossed 41 degrees throughout our testing.
The Maxon Cinebench RIO score of 8,586 is even higher than the similarly clocked Core 2 Dup E8600 (7107) - another dual core from the older Core 2 Duo family.

krofunk

Reaction score
I'm more of an AMD man but I try to keep an open mind...Is there any advantage to this chip over a Phenom II x4?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Pretty cool to see how Intel is progressing with these CPUs. I'm wondering how good of an Integrated GPU there is in the i5 in terms of benchmarking, compared to say an Intel x4500. I know it obviously won't be a dedicated solution, but for curiosity's sake.

@krofunk: Not really much of an advantage. The Phenom IIs are great chips as well. Not sure how they fare in Intel in terms of temps though. Many of the Intel chips I've come across generally run cooler than AMD chips.

krofunk

Reaction score
well I can't say it runs cool, about 55 - 65C* under load (Zalman Cooler) but it definitely seems reliable - absolutely no problems since I got it for christmas xD