Internet borders

Zangetsu

Reaction score
you must have heard of these so called borders you know like on some music sites you'll get the message "sorry, this song is not available in your area" or on some downloade sites "sorry, this file is not available in your country" personally i find inter net shouldn't have borders its futile i mean if you cant listen to that song on that site you just go to another site and listen to it there the same way you'll do it with that download you wanted the internet is there so you can connect with other people, listen to new kinds of music, download freeware or buy stuff from your computer, imagine if youtube or google were to do this it would be disastrous for the people who want to share their content its really not a good idea to put borders on the Internet accept if you want to keep the bugs and hackers out but those are other borders

:thefinger Internet borders :thefinger

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Err could you show me an example? I have never been restricted from a site or content due to my location..

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I've seen such restriction on YouTube before, where an MSN contact in the UK wanted me to watch a music video, and when I tried to view it, it came up saying that it was not for viewing in my country, even when I changed the site from youtube.co.uk to youtube.com. I had to use a proxy to watch it. That's kind of surprising to me considering I'm in the US really.

Last edited:

theafterthought

Reaction score
Yeah, those things suck. Especially when pandora.com was restricted so that UK users couldn't use it - it was great for finding out new music for free.

VPmase

Reaction score
Happens to me a lot on Veoh. But there are always substitutes for that situation.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
One thing that I have found is that the 'I'm Initiative' is limited to the US only, but there are usually way to get around these restrictions.

Things like this really annoy me, the Internet is supposed to be International, and it's supposed to break down barriers between countries not make them.

scottnj

Reaction score
I've seen such restriction on YouTube before, where an MSN contact in the UK wanted me to watch a music video, and when I tried to view it, it came up saying that it was not for viewing in my country, even when I changed the site from youtube.co.uk to youtube.com. I had to use a proxy to watch it. That's kind of surprising to me considering I'm in the US really.
Wow, that is weird. I know that a lot of the time they have regional restrictions on DVDs and stuff because they are cheaper over in Asia, but I never heard of that happening on the internet. Weird.

dwd2000

Reaction score
It's the same with Yahoo when you want to watch a hockey game that is being broadcast through them. If it's available in a certain region, it should be available everywhere. The advertisers should complain about being restricted too.