Internet Chain Letters?

mcklovin

Reaction score
There are many chain letters on the internet, many asking to donate money. I was wondering does anyone actually pass these on or even donate. I find it hard to believe that these keep growing and spreading. This is just a time waister in my opinion that takes up room in my inbox. Also, there is a great website snopes to check out validity of chain letters and see their origins, it's kinda interesting. http://snopes.com/

tittat

Reaction score
Chain letters are often scam.They are in most cases for getting e-mail id's or for getting our personal information.If i get a chain letter i never used to forward it again.If everyone thinks like that there will be no more chain letters.
And i am scared to hear that about 90% of worlds e-mail traffic are spam.

Perfect7

Reaction score
Nah... All chain emails nowadays are just being used to gatherlots of email addresses so that those people who started it can spam all the email adresses they find on it when it eventually makes its way back there...

I especially hate the ones where they say that someone got in an accident and they need you to forward this email so that some company can donate them money for each time the email is forwarded... Taking advantage of people's sympathy...

Christopher

Retired
Reaction score
My friend's Grandma forwards chain mail on to him and then he forwards them on to me.

I hate them. The only time I would trust one is when the original sender is someone I know. But I never get those luckily.

Last edited:

hopper

Reaction score
i never get those kind a chain mails, usually i get the motivational or sob story or just some silly random story
unless you forward this on something bad will happen to you or something good will happen if you do
i dont, but ive never been asked for money in a chain email
many chain emails are just harmless fun

cursedpsp

Reaction score
the people who write them in the first place are sad and need to get a life - it isnt fun, it isnt cool and it will certainly lose you friends.
How fun must it be to write
Pick a colour - red, blue, purple...
bla
bla
Send this to 40 mates or more to reveal the truth!
I mean WAHT THE HELL?

I noticed on youtube it happen too

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I do not like chain mail, but luckily most of it is filtered out by my junk filter. Mostly I get the ones that say "if you do not pass this on, something terrible will happen, so pass it on to as many people as you can." Yeah Right.
A little while ago I got one from a person called "Amy Bruce" saying that everyone must pass this on so that a company will donate money towards a operation that will remove her brain tumour.

I also ignore these, but unfortunately some of my friends either believe in the or just find them fun, because I usually get 1-2 a week!

TheMan177

Reaction score
Chain mail can really annoy me.

"if you do not pass this on, something terrible will happen, so pass it on to as many people as you can."
Something incredibly bad should have happened to me by now :rolleyes:

Most will get removed by my filter as well, the ones that don't just get deleted instantly.

Daniel S

Reaction score
I never pass them on because I just class them as spam and just waste my time the types that i hate are the one's that say if you don't pass this around to 20+ people you whole family will be cursed forever! lol as if that is going to hapen. Also my friend once started a chain letter saying that after this letter nobody else should reply to or start a chain letter (so they would finally go)

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Usually anything that has more than two forwards in the subject like I look down upon, because I delete them right away unless I know it's something important. But yeah, I hate the fact that most of the e-mail today is spam.

tittat

Reaction score
I do not like chain mail, but luckily most of it is filtered out by my junk filter!

But my spam filter filters many of my important mails too.But now no problem i teach my filter how to behave.
I am using yahoomail.

Which one have a powerful and intelligent spam filter yahoo or gmail?What do you think?

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Hello there,

In my opinion chain letters are as bad as spam. It's useless rubbish that clogs up my email account and wastes precious bytes of space =]

Seriously though, I never bother sending them on unless there's a good reason for it. I sent one on a while ago about the army (it praised them for all the work they do to protect us and everything), but other than that I think I've deleted them all =P

I get them on MSN, Skype and Yahoo instant messenger too, I just politely tell the person I don't want to know and block them for a little while.

But yeah I just don't see the point in chain letters, they're a waste of time for the receiver and even worse for the sender who has to go through all the hassle of locating people's email address and instant messenger handles just to send them lol.

-Luke.

kyledude92107

Reaction score
Chain letters annoy me greatly... As Smith6612 said, anything with more than 2 re's is usually deleted by me before I read it.

I also block someone or put their email on the ignore list if they send me one.

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Also, I delete stuff that has e-mails/files as repeated attachments as well. I consider that chain mail as well. Usually, for me this type of e-mail, if it has no text but attachments, I will usually delete it. If there is a ZIP file and inside of that there is another ZIP file, which I have to open to get to the file, I will usually delete that as well. Pretty much, I go that if you can't at least remove the RE and all of the sender info, along with having proper attachments, I send it to the trash to be deleted seconds later.

Mindbleed

Reaction score
O don't even get me started.

I cannot stand Chain Mail. I usually have to bash my friends repeatedly before they finnaly stop sending them.

Favorite thing about Facebook: No Forward Feature

I got the Advanced wall or w/e for a bit and got 3 chain messages in like a day.

theafterthought

Reaction score
Favorite thing about Facebook: No Forward Feature

I got the Advanced wall or w/e for a bit and got 3 chain messages in like a day.
VERY true! Never add the Super Wall, I keep my page nice and tidy :p

But chain mail is infuriating - now and then there will be something funny or interesting but at the end of the day it really is just spam and leaves you open to receiving even more spam if you decide to send it on.

kateblogs

Reaction score
There are many chain letters on the internet, many asking to donate money. I was wondering does anyone actually pass these on or even donate. I find it hard to believe that these keep growing and spreading. This is just a time waister in my opinion that takes up room in my inbox. Also, there is a great website snopes to check out validity of chain letters and see their origins, it's kinda interesting. http://snopes.com/

I don't pass them on, and can't ever see a situation were I would donate money because of one. There are a lot of them though, and it amazes me how many people do forward them, even people I thought to be relatively sensible. I wonder if some of them do it deliberately, or if they see the word 'forward' and just click send.

Agree - Snopes is a great place to find out how true they are. It's also good for virus hoaxes.

dcoates

Reaction score
they suck and there annoying that's all there is to it. delete em all and stop sending them.

Last edited:

like2program

Reaction score
The only time I ever get chain letters is when Limvot sends them to me. Stop sending them to me!