'IP Mismatch' Error

promolsx

Reaction score
I've been getting a new error (note, not a new error message - there is no message) when I try to log in to my X10-hosted webmail the last few weeks: the browser page turns white and has printed at the top, in the simplest font available, "IP mismatch". This is a consistent error - it has occurred every time I've tried to log in the last few weeks (probably at least ten times). To get there, I click on the mail icon on my E-mail accounts page in my control panel. Is there a way I can get around this error, or can someone at X10hosting.com figure out how to fix the problem? Thanks, Eric

Eric S

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been getting a new error (note, not a new error message - there is no message) when I try to log in to my X10-hosted webmail the last few weeks: the browser page turns white and has printed at the top, in the simplest font available, "IP mismatch". This is a consistent error - it has occurred every time I've tried to log in the last few weeks (probably at least ten times). To get there, I click on the mail icon on my E-mail accounts page in my control panel. Is there a way I can get around this error, or can someone at X10hosting.com figure out how to fix the problem? Thanks, Eric
This error occurs generally when you are on a mobile internet connection or a VPN/Proxy as the connection sees the IP changing on each load.

promolsx

Reaction score
This error occurs generally when you are on a mobile internet connection or a VPN/Proxy as the connection sees the IP changing on each load.
Would it be possible for someone at X10hosting.com to fix this bug? I would hate to be traveling and unable to use my E-mail. (Actually, I already hate to be at home or at the office and unable to use my E-mail.) By the way, the IP address I have used at the office and home is consistent - it hasn't changed since long before this bug appeared. Thanks, Eric

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
just my opinion, staff can correct me ...
i dont think its a bug because when you sign up for a free account everything gets set to your initial ip address.
it can be considered a security measure to prevent others from logging in to your account. (hackers)
i believe that's why vpn or proxy is not allowed when logging in. because those change your ip address.
1 reason some users might get country blocklisted if using a vpn or proxy.

promolsx

Reaction score
just my opinion, staff can correct me ...
i dont think its a bug because when you sign up for a free account everything gets set to your initial ip address.
it can be considered a security measure to prevent others from logging in to your account. (hackers)
i believe that's why vpn or proxy is not allowed when logging in. because those change your ip address.
1 reason some users might get country blocklisted if using a vpn or proxy.
I think it HAS to be a bug - it didn't start until a few months ago, long after X10hosting.com switched to the new software that has so many other bugs (click on links and nothing happens, etc.), and far, far longer after my home and office machines were assigned their current IP addresses. Also, there is such a thing as TOO MUCH security - security so tight you can't even get into your own E-mail. Like Colonel Flagg used to say, "My assignment's so secret even I don't know what it is." Again, how would you check your E-mail when you travel, under these circumstances?

Last edited:

promolsx

Reaction score
I accidentally found a way around the bug - in my DirectAdmin control panel, the last major option on the list of menu items on the left is "Extra Features"; if I open that item, the first item on the list within is "Webmail: Roundcube". Clicking on that brings up the default webmail login page (the one that the site defaults to when I log out of an E-mail account that I got into by clicking on the icon in my list of E-mail accounts); I can get into my E-mail just by typing the entire address into the username space, and then the password for that specific E-mail account. So I can now get into my E-mail again. It would be nice, though, if X10hosting.com could fix this "IP mismatch" bug. Thanks, Eric