IPB- modification tutorials

dekarvn

Reaction score
I don't know if there is a thread about this or not, but i post it back......

What is a modification?
A modification is a piece of code written to enhance or add features to the Invision Power Board Software. Modifications can range from a few lines of code, all the way up to thousands of lines of code.

What is a tool?
A tool is a piece of code written to use any part Invision Power Board Software and improve, backup, or check the Software.

What is the difference between a tool and a modification?
A modification typically adds enhancements, or changes the look of Invision Power Board. A modification contains some kind of edits to files, or adding a file which users of the software will access. A tool can backup the software, or manage the software without making anything noticable for other people. A tool typically would not contain any modifications to the software but would contain some file to run on.

Where do I find the mods?
We have all of our Mods located in our Modifications Database. You can access this database by clicking the Mods link located in the upper left corner of every page here at Invisionize. In the database, you can either browse through the categories or use the search function to find a specific mod. When searching, it's best to just search for one or two keywords; if you enter in too much information then you're not likely to find the mod.

Once you have found a mod you want, you can download the mod to your computer using the Download button located at the bottom of every mod's page. When downloading the mod, be sure to pay attention to the license agreement. By clicking the I agree button there, you will be bound by the terms of that agreement.
wink.gif

Please note there is also a Modifications in Production forum for mods that are currently being made. These will not show up in our database, but if you are searching for a mod you might find one being produced here.

dekarvn

Reaction score
What is the mod at the bottom of this forum index that shows the groups with their proper color?
Probably the single most asked question in the Programming Chat forum, this is called the "Group Name Indicator" and was originally coded by Outlaw, but has since been supported by FuSoYa. You may find it here:
Topics requesting this mod may be closed at the staff's discretion, but usually will include a link to this topic for your reference.

How do I install mods?
In order to install any of the mods in our database, you MUST have FTP access to your site. Mods require edits to the forum's files, so you have to have access to these. If your site is hosted by a company that does not grant you access to these files (such as most free forum hosts), or the files are encrypted (if you are using Invision's 2.0 trial version, for example), then you will be unable to install any mods.

If you have the necessary access, the first thing you'll want to do is read the Total Beginner's Guide To Mods. This guide is a great walkthrough on what all needs to be done to install mods. After reading this, you should have a good handle on how the install process works. If you've never installed a mod before, then it's not advised that you start with some of the bigger mods; limit yourself to the ones that just have a few edits before you tackle the big guys.

Some people are willing to install the modification but it may require a price if you don't want to cause problems.

Please Note: The Programming Team members are not required to install modifications for you, though some may do so for a small charge. Contact individual members to find out if you are interested.

I'm having trouble with one particular mod
Support for all Modifications in our database is offered ONLY through the Modification Support Forums. Every mod in the database is linked to a specific topic for questions/problems/suggestions. So if you are installing a mod and you get an error message, or it doesn't seem like it's doing what it should, then you need to post about this in the Mod's support topic. It's always a good idea to search through the topic first, though, to see if someone has already asked this same question.

This forum does not allow new topics to be posted. A topic is automatically created for every released modification in our database. If you are having problems with a mod you must find the existing topic. Please do not open a support-related topic in another forum, stating that you could not start a topic in our support forum. Our staff cannot even start new topics in this forum. Such topics will be closed, advising that you must go find the existing support topic. If you are unable to do so, go back to the modification in the database, and follow the link that says Discussion, or use the search feature on the board.

It's important to note that some Modification support topics can get quite lengthy with the number of questions, and that you don't necessarily want to take the time to search through the whole topic looking for your answer. In this case, please utilize the "Search Topic" feature located at the bottom left corner of every topic:

snag00294bl.png

You can use this to search for some keywords in your question and find possible solutions. Trust me, this is a huge timesaver!

It is important to note that the authors that create the mods are not required to offer support, so they may not necessarily respond to every question asked in their topics. Other users who also have used this mod may give you some help as well, so be sure to post if you need help.

dekarvn

Reaction score
If you have followed all of the instructions in the mod to the letter and it gives you errors or just doesn't work, you can submit a Broken Modification Report. Near the bottom of every mod's page in the database, there will be a link where you can file this report. Please state in this report explicitly what the problem is, the staff needs this info to properly test the mod to determine whether it is broken or not. If it is broken, it will be moved to a separate area of the database awaiting a fix by the author. We allow downloads of mods that are reported broken, but be advised you are doing so at your own risk. Broken modifications will have a large red disclaimer at the top of the download page for your reference. If the mod is reported broken but it does work when tested, the report will be marked invalid and the mod will stay in the database.

I wrote a mod and want to use this site to distribute it, how do I do that?
Before submitting your mod to the database, be sure to read the Modification Database Guidelines; this topic covers the rules for all mods submitted to our database. If you have any questions about these rules, you can contact a member of the Programming Team.

If you want to submit your mod to the Invisionize Modifications database, click on the Add File link near the top of the main database page. From here, fill out all of the required information to describe your mod. Give it a descriptive title so that people are able to find it using the search feature. Also be sure to pick the correct Category for the mod too. If you have a link that demonstrates the mod, try and include that as it helps people understand what the mod does.

After you have submitted the mod, the staff here will review your submission. We will make sure that all of the guidelines are covered and that there are no other problems with your submission. If everything looks OK, we will add the mod into our database. If there are problems with your submission, then a member of the staff will contact you to follow up. It typically takes a few days for a submission to be looked at, so please be patient.

I have an idea for a mod, how can I ask someone to make it?
We have Modifications Request forums available for requesting new mods be created. This forum has subforums for both 1.2/1.3 and 2.0 (Mods made for either 1.2 or 1.3 should work on both versions), so be sure you post your request in the appropriate subforum.

When requesting, please include as much information as possible. Please make a descriptive title for the request topic as well as a clear description. You can find some guidelines to follow to help increase the chances of getting your mod made here.

How do I update my own modification in the database?
First you start by going to your modification page, the page before download. Example page. Next you will click edit next to the modification name. (Note: You have to be the author of the modification) Now you can edit the name, description, file, and others. Then click "Submit File". You are done updating your modification.
Note: The modification does not need to be accepted again.

I just started work on the best modfication the world has seen! Where do i post details about this upcoming masterpiece?
Good for you, we always need new modification writers. We have a forum dedicated to upcoming modifications here. Remember to post suffient details about your upcoming modification, posts with "I'm writting a l33t ne\/\/ mod" will be closed. Members will want to hear what features will be included, what versions of IPB the mod works with and such, so keep this in mind when you begin to tell others about your modification. Just try to think about what YOU would want to know if it were you reading the work in progress.

A helpful topic from Invisionize.com

Topic from Invisionize.com