iPod application development

mattura

Reaction score
Is anyone here a developer?

I would love to make some applications for my iPod Touch 2G, but:

1) I don't have a mac
2) I don't want to have to pay $99 for the privilege.

Has anyone had either a good or bad experience of making ipod/iphone applications? I think Apple should at least have a "try before you buy" policy, and $99 is far too much in my opinion.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You can make applications for the ipod with out needing their coding environment. You just don't get to put it on their appstore. That's all.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
go to the official site you will find what you look for

Mattura has clearly seen the official site:
Is anyone here a developer?

I would love to make some applications for my iPod Touch 2G, but:

1) I don't have a mac
2) I don't want to have to pay $99 for the privilege.

Has anyone had either a good or bad experience of making ipod/iphone applications? I think Apple should at least have a "try before you buy" policy, and $99 is far too much in my opinion.
so that clearly wasn't what he was asking for.

@mattura, as I stated before, the only way to get your app into the app store is to buy the $99 sdk.

But, you can use any text editor or some ides to write an app for the iPod/iPhone. Of course, the only way to get these onto an iPod/iPhone is to jailbreak the device. But that won't hurt it. Good luck convincing other people to jailbreak their devices in order to buy your app though. ;)

See this article for more information on developing apps for jailbroken iPods/iPhones. It has a bunch of links scattered through out it that should get you started.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes. When you make an app there are two ways to get it onto your iPod/iPhone. 1) Submit it to Apple and if they approve it it will go onto the app store. From there, you can download it directly to your iDevice or download it from iTunes and iTunes will install it next time you plug in your iDevice. Bear in mind that it costs $99 to even get an app considered by apple to go in the appstore. 2) This second method is the jailbreak method. You can use adventuremaker to make your app. You upload the app files to a webhost. x10 will work fine. From there, open cydia on your iDevice and add the url of your files to the repository list in cydia. After that you can install it anytime from cydia >> search!

Those are the only two ways to get you app onto your iPod. As I said before, jailbreaking you iPod will really open up a whole new world of capabilities. If you aren't afraid of voiding the apple warranty, I'd suggest you give it a try.