Is it piracy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

igthomas27

Reaction score
I had an idea to make a lot of visitors :D but I don't know if its piracy or not...
My idea: I put iphone ipod ipad applications on my site

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Do you have the right(s) to distribute them?

Or are you talking about links to legitimate sites where you can buy and/or download them?

igthomas27

Reaction score
Do you have the right(s) to distribute them?

Or are you talking about links to legitimate sites where you can buy and/or download them?

Idk if i have rights but i want to put it on my site and distribute my copies

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Idk if i have rights but i want to put it on my site and distribute my copies

You might survive 24 hrs before your site is permanently suspended.

And now that you have admitted your intentions and have be told you cannot do it, there will be no "I didn't knows". Not that it would help.

Darkmere

Reaction score
If they are free aps I am sure it is not piracy. Although I was watching a live session of Apple talking to Congress at the beginning of the month and they stated they do not allow any of the apps to be published outside their market and if they find outside sources they try to get them to remove it. And this was in response to the governments query on how apple regulates its 3rd party apps. But do not quote me, you can have them on there and no one would care or they might actually care and you get a really bad nasty gram from them.

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

Tred Lightly .... like what I do is, even though it is open source or free ware I provide a link to their site or their download area as so to not tread on them. I also do this to make my visitors more comfortable in knowing they are getting it from the source and not someone they dont know that is providing a Virus Infected File. Know what I mean

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is that gratis is not always libre -- "free" as in beer doesn't necessarily imply "free" as in speech. Unless you hold the copyright (and haven't assigned exclusive distribution rights elsewhere) and any applicable patents or licenses thereto, then your ability to redistribute depends entirely upon the license that goes with the software. And that software may already be subject to distribution channel agreements (iOS developers agree to use Apple's distro channel when they get the SDK -- it's a condition of that software license, and private distribution costs extra).

And, as Darkmere pointed out, it's just common courtesy to give credit where credit is due -- point to the official (home) site, even if you have permission to redistribute.

Interscopia

x10 Caffeine Addict
Prime Account
Reaction score
I would make sure to get permission from the application owners, or look closely at the licensing of the applications and distribution information. Some you may only purchase for yourself, and some you can re-distribute.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
And it would always help if you buy or download it from people who actually have a right to sell/give it away.

We keep getting people with "free" or "discount" versions of vBulletin or IPB here. They lose their accounts.

Just because you got it "free", doesn't mean that it is "free".

SierraAR

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
As a good rule of thumb... Just link to the original source. There's no need to host the file yourself, if it's already hosted somewhere else - Save yourself some file space and bandwidth ;)

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
He's gunna have a hard time putting them on his site anyways folks. While distributing the ipad applications depends on the TOS of the app in question (I'd imagine some won't mind), installing a nulled install of vBulletin is always permanent...

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Using warez to distribute warez? Whodathunkit?! In for a penny, in for a pound, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.