Is Javascript/PHP Needed for Breadcrumbs Navigation?

darkX3536

Reaction score
Hi, I want to implement breadcrumbs navigation. I tried looking it up on the Web and found out that you need Javascipt or PHP to really pull it off (unless you don't mind hard-coding the different links into the breadcrumbs navigation for each page via HTML and CSS).

So, I want to know if that is really the case, as I intend my website to have as little Javascript as possible to cater for those who have to disable Javascript.

Thanks!

jabo86

Reaction score
If you want to avoid JavaScript and you have a small-ish site, the easiest way would be to use HTML/CSS and hard code the breadcrumbs in on each page (as you mentioned before). If you have a larger site, you can use PHP to do it, but you will need PHP and MySQL experience in order to do so (if you don't want to use MySQL, you could use flat files instead).

The best way to do it if you don't know PHP would be to put the site on some kind of CMS like Wordpress or something, which can easily do the breadcrumbs for you, and integrating your design into it isn't too difficult (intermediate HTML and CSS knowledge should be sufficient). There would be a lot of additional benefits to doing this as well.

mandar_ranade200369

Reaction score
You will need to use PHP for creating bread crumbs,
Like suppose your site has some category and inside category some page, then how will you manage bread crumb? it would be something like below code
assuming following stuff
your URL after click is something http://mydomain.com/index.php?cat=somecategory
then your breadcrum would be
Code:
<?php
echo "You are Here <a href='index.php'>Home</a> >> ".$_GET['cat'];
?>
Get it modified as per your need, or post your URLs,
I might be able to help you out.
Hope this helps!

darkX3536

Reaction score
Hmm... Looks like I need to use PHP or even Wordpress in the near future once my website grows bigger if that is the case about breadcrumbs navigation. I will stick with pure HTML/CSS for time being (to get a better feel of it) and launch my website before deciding about this ie. no breadcrumbs for now.

One question though, are there issues in using Dreamweaver CS4/CS5/CS5.5 with Wordpress?

Thanks once again!

Last edited: