Is Safari better then all other browsers?

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
I noticed recently that while I was playing Tetris on TetrisFriends.com, Firefox would have random moments of nonresponsiveness. If you know me, then you know that my Tetris playing is insane - every split second counts, and even a tenth of a second of nonresponsiveness could potentially mess me up. I tried playing on Safari 4 Beta one day, and it works smoothly. I've never made any mistakes directly due to lag, when Firefox gives me problems all the time.

iglitter

Reaction score
you're damn right it is!

ie is buggy
firefox is tempremental
opera is okay but i went off it
im currently using safari and think its far superior

debio264

Reaction score
Okay, all the Safari people need to try Chrome. It owns Safari, delivering a superior feature set with identical speeds.

As to the Safari vs Firefox debate, that's a fairly close call. The problem is that people tend to install Firefox, update it a few times, and clog it with addons, then complain that it's slow. Try a fresh install, and then tell me what you think.

As to the engines (the backends that actually process the HTML/CSS),
IE -> Trident
Firefox -> Gecko
Safari -> WebKit
Chrome -> WebKit

WebKit is based on KHTML, the backend developed for the KDE Project's Konqueror browser. WebKit can also be found in the ultra fast Midori browser for Linux.

MarioMaster

Reaction score
I have a Mac, and I use Safari all the time! I've tried Firefox, Opera, Camino, and Flock, but Safari has always worked out the best for me. Even if it does have some CSS bugs, I never seem to notice them. I don't care what the code looks like if the Web site looks the same and loads fast.

omniuni

Reaction score
Okay, all the Safari people need to try Chrome. It owns Safari, delivering a superior feature set with identical speeds.

As to the Safari vs Firefox debate, that's a fairly close call. The problem is that people tend to install Firefox, update it a few times, and clog it with addons, then complain that it's slow. Try a fresh install, and then tell me what you think.

As to the engines (the backends that actually process the HTML/CSS),
IE -> Trident
Firefox -> Gecko
Safari -> WebKit
Chrome -> WebKit

WebKit is based on KHTML, the backend developed for the KDE Project's Konqueror browser. WebKit can also be found in the ultra fast Midori browser for Linux.

100%, Debio.

In fact, when I want a fast browser, I usually use Konqueror. Also, by design, Konqueror has the same process separation as Chrome does, because it loads an instance of the KHTML engine for each web page it must display. In other words, not only does it provide discrete processes, as per Chrome, but can also handle images, PDF's, even basic office documents by loading the associated Kpart plugin. I use FF mostly (no real performance complaints, certainly no freezes or stutters, and very customizable through a little CSS), but Konq is always a nice fast option to have. (Note, also, that you can swap out KHTML or Webkit as you feel like it, but KHTML is usually a bit cleaner in its layout than Webkit)

DragonMaster

Reaction score
Firefox 3.5 isn't that slow, and with all the available add-ons, is probably the most functional. It probably has the best compatibility with websites, as it's optimized to render pages written for MSIE properly, and can render pages that comply to coding standards properly as well.

IMO Safari just looks like Firefox without the add-ons and some buttons in different places, with the speed of WebKit.

Chrome has no add-ons as well, and the interface annoys me a bit sometimes. As for speed, the V8 JavaScript engine makes the browser even faster than Safari. I haven't seen any compatibility problems with any websites so far, but some web pages that felt sluggish using older systems with Firefox work perfectly with Chrome. The good thing is: Chrome is supposed to eventually add support for add-ons. It will be a better browser than Firefox once they get them working IMO.

I haven't tested Opera and Konqueror for a while (at least 2 years ago), but I had problems with some webpages, they lacked add-ons, and the speed compared to Firefox.

In my opinion, Chrome and Firefox come out first

Last edited:

kaiweilim

Reaction score
Yea, Safari is fast but i think chrome is fastest. However, i still like firefox. So i use the three browsers alternatively.

spadija

Reaction score
That's debatable.

I won't try to say any one browser is better than another, because each browser is good at some things, and not so good at others. (Well, okay. Some browsers are pretty bad at a lot of things, but I'll ignore those.)

Personally, I like Opera because it has all the features I use without needing addons and the layout is very customizable. You can place just about any part of the browser wherever you want it and even create your own buttons if you so desire. I only use Firefox when a site requires a plugin that is IE/FF specific, and it works quite well, but I miss the shortcuts I have with Opera.
It really is just a matter of preference.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
As it has been said, the best part about firefox is the addons. Every single new interesting feature in a browser will probably be replicated by the FF community in a record time. I used to have tons of addons, and I actually used a handful of those. I was then complaining about the load time and responsiveness. What I did is essentially remove all unused addons, and boy, FF went way faster.
I recently had a Chrome period... I liked it's speed and it's minimalistic interface... but I missed by good old All-in-One-Sidebar, Firebug, Greasemonkey and co. I went back to FF and never looked back.

loveispoison

Banned
Reaction score
i dont thinks so i have tryed manny browser but none works as best as firefox im using firefox and some time i use opera and i hate EI and all others firefox is the best and king of all browser