Is there a case for a new static sub-addressing system?

myauthors

Reaction score
With the rise in user dominance of mobile computing technology is there a case for a new static sub-addressing system accessed via proxy servers?
Most computing within the UK, approximately 82-87%, is now done on mobile devices such as pads, laptops and iPhone or android. With people like myself, who travel and work throughout Europe and the UK, this percentage is close to 100%.
This creates, of necessity, a larger proportion of developers, designers and others who are creating and maintaining websites and applications on the go - such as at their clients' offices and in other less formal environments.
Unless they go to the expense and bother of setting up a WAN based around a static office PC/server for themselves or creating a direct link VPN, they are bound to use roaming networks which severely restricts access to a static IP address. I know that a static address can be bought - at high cost - from some network providers, but in these frugal times additional expenses are something the small businessman needs to desperately avoid and the idea of having to acquire an expensive static IP address for each mobile device is horrifying.
This leads to the problem of using proxies.
Anyone who has had to use a proxy server will know what I am talking about when I say that they can be the biggest pain in the neck ever, short of actual whiplash.
We are currently in a technological phase where small downloads with immediate payment done through roaming network proxies, such as iPhone app purchases, ringtones and equivalent, are rising exponentially and making their creators big bucks. Yet developers utilizing third party services such as hosting, are restricted to completing any online transactions such as site creation, maintenance, file transfers, purchases and sales, once they have access to a direct line static IP address. This also restricts the possibility of stopping off at an internet cafe during the working day and transferring any work done from your mobile device to whichever server service you use.
I do not think I will even touch on cloud computing in this context.
All of this leads back to the question of: how do I get a transferable static IP address that I can use with whichever mobile device I am working on at any given time?

Jonathan

Reaction score
To answer your question without going into tons of detail: right now you can't do that.

The closest thing you could really achieve at this point would be using dyndns or something similar to "mask" your true IP.

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Moved to Computers and Technology.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
You'd need a VPN server somewhere (probably running on a cheap VPS) that includes a dedicated IP address. Many mobile providers if they aren't putting devices behind a NAT will often times set up everyone on a Dynamic IPv4 addressing system. I don't know why someone would want to bother with a Static IP address on a mobile network if they are even offered, as many of the uses a Static IP has mainly include bulk data transfer via servers on the connection or VPN access; something mobile networks are not designed to handle.

With a VPN configured correctly, you will maintain a "Static IP" address at least on the server-end of things. However, your mobile device will still be using a Dynamic address system.

Last edited:

anurag.baghail57

Reaction score
Well dyndns is a good option. We do also have so many of proxy sites and services on web and that too totally free. If you may spend 10 minutes personalizing your firefox, that would also do good.