Is there any CPU usage meter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

farkhof98

Reaction score
Hi,

I'd just installed WordPress on my account and curious on how much CPU usage is used - in case tweaking is required to reduce the load. Is there any tool that I can use to meter the CPU usage in X10?

Thanks

SierraAR

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
One method of reducing CPU load when using wordpress is to install and activate the wp-supercache plugin ( http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-super-cache/ )

Also, I would recommend doing all of your theme and plugin installs, and all of your updating manually, by downloading the associated files to your PC then uploading them to your account via FTP, as opposed to the automated scripts that tend to spike CPU usage.

farkhof98

Reaction score
Yeah, I did install it manually as Softaculous failed to installed it.

So the CPU usage problem only occurs during wordpress and its plugins installations?

SierraAR

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Wordpress is known for being a CPU hog, and not being very efficient in how it makes its calls. People with a higher volume of users that access their site on a daily basis tend to have CPU spikes from the constant access calls required to serve each user, if there's no server-side caching system set up. Automated installs have always caused an HRU suspension for me, so I've stuck with manual installs.

farkhof98

Reaction score
Thanks, looking into installing and activating the wp-supercache plugin.

---------- Post added at 02:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 AM ----------

All, I found the following to decrease the load time of WordPress using gzip:

<?php if (substr_count($_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING'], ‘gzip‘)) ob_start(“ob_gzhandler”); else ob_start(); ?>

Would it work? Which one is better, use the above code, activating wp-supercache plugin, or combination of both?

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
supercache will in general reduce cpu usage and load times
gzipping the output will in general increase cpu usage but reduce load times

Status
Not open for further replies.