July 25th 9th Annual System Admin Appreciation Day

vinayan

Reaction score
Hi all We are about to celebrate 9th annual System Administrator Appreciation day on 25th. This Day dedicated to system admins " those who working for you to get your system working properly, maintaining your network connectivity, monitoring and solving issues on web servers". yes Without System admin you can move forward in life . So we need a day to relax . Every Last Friday Of July celebrated as Sys Admin Day .Please give some appreciation or a simple gift to your System Admin on 25th for the work he done for you.

Sys Admin Day International Chapter
Sys Admin Day India Chapter

Last edited:

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
All IT staff (or anyone who works in IT) are, in my opinion, extremely undervalued considering the sheer amount of crap they put up with every day. They work to resolve issues that just shouldn't be possible, have to put up with people not having a clue what they're talking about, and get stereotyped as utter nerds on top of it all, leading to them getting the mickey taken out of them. So yeah, this should be made a national holiday me thinks :).

-Luke.

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with Luke.
The people actually making things work are never noticed; it'd be nice to see this on a calendar. :)

withambition

Reaction score
I understand and appreciate the amount of work that system administrators put forth, but making a national holiday solely for IT's seems a little absurd. There is a holiday that's somewhat relevant to this - Labor Day.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
I understand and appreciate the amount of work that system administrators put forth, but making a national holiday solely for IT's seems a little absurd. There is a holiday that's somewhat relevant to this - Labor Day.

Maybe people should stop sterotyping them and actually pay a little respect for the work they do. The problem is the media, people assume that anyone who works in IT is going to be a complete nerd with bad hair, bad glasses and no dress sense. Not everyone who works in IT looks like Bill Gates.

-Luke.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
IT staff often have a hard job, and rarely get recognition for their work. I agree with Luke, people need to stop stereotyping them.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Do I get my respects on July 25th since I've spent a lot of my summer on the phone, e-mailing and going to people's houses fixing up their computers? :)

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Do I get my respects on July 25th since I've spent a lot of my summer on the phone, e-mailing and going to people's houses fixing up their computers? :)
Now that's the kind of job I want to get.
I just need to bring my computer and Google the problem and fix it within 10 minutes, charge $50 and leave. :biggrin:

Nathan H

Reaction score
I seriously do believe days like this are neccessary, how many posts in free hosting are about problems, all of them. How many people ever just say thankyou. None

You deserve days like this guys

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember thanking Liz for helping me out with something.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
I just find the way IT staff are treated appalling. They get very little (if any) appreciation for what they do. The behavior of some of our users here at x10Hosting proves this. Anyone else found that?

-Luke.

Chris Z

Reaction score
I'm sure there must be at least one person who's said thanks. lol

Actually, I've counted about nine to this day. Hah jk, there's quite a good amount that say thanks, which boosts the overall performance of Support Staff. ;)

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Now that's the kind of job I want to get.
I just need to bring my computer and Google the problem and fix it within 10 minutes, charge $50 and leave. :biggrin:

LOL 99.5% of the time I don't need to Google the problem when I need to go fix something. The problems I've had to fix are things such as "Oh noes, some Virus from LOLLimewire broke Windows! D:" and "Why is my internet so slow" or "Why can't I run this game" and of course, the like of installing new processors for people, recommending a computer based on what they use it for, and more of course. The only things I ever have to Google are BSODs that I can't pick out the problem from or that I've never seen and for drivers when the manufacturer's website is down.

Not to mention, but I do my work for free as well. You call me down, I'll be right down, fix what needs fixing, find more problems if anything, and then leave. I get paid on what the person who owned the computer though I should get. Usually $20-60 a job.

EDIT: Did I forget to mention that if I'm there for more than 2 hours, I usually get pizza? I love pizza!!!

Last edited:

LHVWB

Reaction score
Well, congradulations and thank you to any server support staff/admin here. :)

Last edited:

withambition

Reaction score
I just find the way IT staff are treated appalling. They get very little (if any) appreciation for what they do. The behavior of some of our users here at x10Hosting proves this. Anyone else found that?

-Luke.

You say that now when you're young, but as you get older you'll notice that the appreciation level is much higher. I'll agree with what has been previously stated - that there are stereotypes - but I'm sure IT's sometimes get the mentality that computer-illiterates aren't very smart. I'm not trying to put down IT's in any way because I appreciate all the work and I've seen firsthand how much time it takes to get systems up and running. I think that people not saying thanks is just a general trend - I'm sure that even people who appreciate the work will simply forget to say thanks. But that's a whoooole other story.

Congrats on all the hard work and enjoy the day tomorrow.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
Well today's the 25th so congratulations and thanks to all the Admins and Server Techs etc. here.

vinayan

Reaction score
Finally its 25th , the day of sys Admins, am an Admin & the founder of Sys Admin day India Chapter . But no way to celebrate coz one of Suse file sharing server on my organization went down. Anyway thanks for the time you guys spend to discuss about this day.