Kinda false advertising

salamander1fish56

Reaction score
If i was a new comer and i saw this
8c083864f7.jpg

I would be thinking 'Oh Cool Unlimited Space,Bandwith, MySQL Databases, eMail accounts, Subdomains and more!'

I would then sign up, log into my cPanel and realized i have been lied to

IMO you should make MYSQL Database cap higher and subdomains and Email accounts unlimited for people who use their own domain

Its our domain isnt it?

Last edited:

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
In fairness, it is a free service. If you want a much higher data cap etc on databases and what not, you'd need a premium service.
Considering you get unmetered disk space and bandwidth for FREE, it's quite a good deal.

It doesn't say anywhere that everything is unlimited. Where have you seen that claim? :)

salamander1fish56

Reaction score
It says 'FREE & Unlimited'. Nowhere does it say that its only bandwith and disc space. I was speaking for a newcomers pov

theislandcrew

Reaction score
One shouldn't rush to register just by looking at an ad. When you sign up, you have entered a contract which binds you to all the terms within it. This means that it's your responsibility to investigate the details before committing yourself to the registration.

In this case, the page in question is not wholly misleading because the free plan does offer "unlimited" but only for "bandwidth" and "disk space". Does it speak the whole truth? Well, no. That's what ads do, as someone before me has stated.

The adfree offer makes the free plan all the more appealing, really.

Personally I think this is a clincher deal for all casual webmasters.

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
On the plan comparison page (http://x10hosting.com/free-hosting-comparison) it tells you exactly how many MySQL databases, email accounts, and subdomains you get.

On the free hosting sign-up page (http://x10hosting.com/free-hosting-signup) it says "UNMETERED Disk Space & Monthly Transfer".

In the terms of service which you agreed to when you signed up (http://x10hosting.com/terms), it has a section on the High Resource Usage Policy, implying that your resources are limited (not unlimited).

And from a legal standpoint, "unlimited" is ambiguous. It could be referring to just about anything. I personally believe that "unlimited" implies that it can be used for an unlimited time, rather than just a 30 day trial or similar, but that's merely my opinion.

Of course, it is misleading; but then again, everyone does it ::shrug:: That's what product promotion is.

Ultimately, you get what you pay for. It's a bit of a cliché, but it's absolutely true. Corey is providing a free service for us all, when he could be spending that money on improving his premium services instead.

If you want unlimited email accounts and MySQL databases and subdomains and 99.9% uptime and improved speed, then you have to pay for it.

Just my 2c.

Couldn't have put it better myself!

denzil

Reaction score
I wish people would stop being so self-centered. You have enough free services to your disposal (wish you should be grateful for) to make pretty much any website. The rest is just about convenience. And if you want that convenience, 4 or 5 dollars a month is not a lot to pay.

ajonesma

Reaction score
I dont think its false advertising, because I would think 'thats to good to be true' and do some more research before signing up. And clicking on the hosting comparison page I would see that its just unlimited disk space and bandwidth, which is a good deal, most free web hosts only give you about 1GB disk space and 20GB bandwidth.

So thank you x10 for the unlimited diskspace and bandwidth!

teeyo985

Reaction score
I've been on so many hosts ,[examples removed] ... and i'm telling you this is the best !! the best free host ever ! even if you have only one parked domaine and 2 mysql database ... it's not a probleme, you can get a database somewere else like db4free and link it to your website on x10frehosting ! Cheer up ^^

Last edited by a moderator:

manintan13

Reaction score
On the plan comparison page (http://x10hosting.com/free-hosting-comparison) it tells you exactly how many MySQL databases, email accounts, and subdomains you get.

On the free hosting sign-up page (http://x10hosting.com/free-hosting-signup) it says "UNMETERED Disk Space & Monthly Transfer".

In the terms of service which you agreed to when you signed up (http://x10hosting.com/terms), it has a section on the High Resource Usage Policy, implying that your resources are limited (not unlimited).

And from a legal standpoint, "unlimited" is ambiguous. It could be referring to just about anything. I personally believe that "unlimited" implies that it can be used for an unlimited time, rather than just a 30 day trial or similar, but that's merely my opinion.

Of course, it is misleading; but then again, everyone does it ::shrug:: That's what product promotion is.

Ultimately, you get what you pay for. It's a bit of a cliché, but it's absolutely true. Corey is providing a free service for us all, when he could be spending that money on improving his premium services instead.

If you want unlimited email accounts and MySQL databases and subdomains and 99.9% uptime and improved speed, then you have to pay for it.

Just my 2c.
I agree. If you're not happy, find a service you can be happy with. Of course, you need to balance price with service, so if you need more, you usually pay more. I thought I saw something about being able to host unlimited domains for free, but I'm just happy to be able to host one here (Well, technically we can host two here, but I only need one.). As for databases, if you need more database space, go with flat files. As long as you keep them below the document root, they're not as bad as people say. They're just misunderstood. If this service is not what you need, it's not like you've lost any more than your time here.

kadai

Reaction score
At this point of life, one should be actually aware that there are several catchs-ups that just say you that you got everything, while in the fine-print is the actual deal.

While you get a really nice deal about to get free space with not forced ads and being able to park your own domains, and have your own email boxes with name and such, there will be always someone that will complain. But everyone must be aware that all deals always have a trick in the background.

For example, in the case of the premium service, it tells you that you have unlimited space, but in the TOS it tells you that Accounts are allowed a maximum of 300,000 inodes. Certainly a lot of space, but not unlimited (nothing can be truly unlimited, given technology constrains and limitations), if we get kinky about terminology.

One last word, x10hosting free service is neat. MySQL, PHP, domains, subdomains, mail boxes and a cPanel (whose license cost money) for free with only the duty to enter the forum once per month, is a great deal. Do not like it? Too slow? Go premium then, just 6 to 7 bucks a month is nothing and you support to get this neat service rolling.