Knowledge Base Items

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
Back-up
How do I create a back-up of all my files?
How do I create a back-up of just my public_html folder?
How do I use backed-up archive files to restore my account?
How do I use the built-in R1Soft Backup feature?
How often should I back-up my files?
What is the most efficient way to back-up/archive files?

Last edited:

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I assume you meant to post this in the Knowledge Base Items thread and not make a new one. I'll merge this for you.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
I assume you meant to post this in the Knowledge Base Items thread and not make a new one. I'll merge this for you.

Um... I posted my suggestions on Garrett's thread, which Corey separated for him into a new thread so we could have a separate running list of suggestions. I think the original thread created by Corey has now turned into more of a volunteer writer recruit thread.

Last edited:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
I've started working on the KB articles I thought of earlier on in this thread. I've set up a temporary site to start working on these here: http://knowledgebase.x10hosting.com/

If anyone would like to do the same and contribute some KB articles before they are transferred to the official X10 KB please sign up for a google account (if you don't have one) and PM me, unless you have an idea for a better place to do this task. Feel free also to comment on what I've done so far :)

Last edited:

taha116

Reaction score
Awesome Garret! 1 question why do you have such a simple little blog when you with all your knowldage could be running a superblog (yes i made up that word) here on x10? Impreaty sure all you did was Iframe it... (To answer my own question) Im guesing its cuz ur too busy helping me out making liquidphp and writing the KB articles...

BTW loved the google mail one about using Gmail instead of the other crappy ones.

---@ ALL---

Do you have any Software Specific articles.... like common issues SMF users may have with X10...

My SMF page loads blank 80% of the time, what do i do?
Ans: Keep trying to log in untill you get in and go to settings-core settings- and select disable hostname lookup

Note* I can remember the actual path to disable hostname lookups, but it was a common issue i had before on x10 tht i dont have anymore BTW... Just an example of what i mean

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Awesome Garret! 1 question why do you have such a simple little blog when you with all your knowldage could be running a superblog (yes i made up that word) here on x10? Impreaty sure all you did was Iframe it... (To answer my own question) Im guesing its cuz ur too busy helping me out making liquidphp and writing the KB articles...

BTW loved the google mail one about using Gmail instead of the other crappy ones.

---@ ALL---

Do you have any Software Specific articles.... like common issues SMF users may have with X10...

My SMF page loads blank 80% of the time, what do i do?
Ans: Keep trying to log in untill you get in and go to settings-core settings- and select disable hostname lookup

Note* I can remember the actual path to disable hostname lookups, but it was a common issue i had before on x10 tht i dont have anymore BTW... Just an example of what i mean

May I just mention, Hostname lookup is in fact working on Lotus in SMF. I've been using it since the server move :)

aleks555

Reaction score
Hello Corey. Your hosting on a high degree of quality and consequently involves not only users speaking in English I address to you with the request open if probably support in Russian. I with pleasure would agree to work свами as the voluntary help but for me greater{big} difficulties with English language. Forgive{excuse} me for my bad English.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
Aleks555, I believe that you have chosen the wrong thread to post this improvement request. To make sure that your idea will be heard, you should create a new thread.

For the KB, you should add one:

How to ask for technical help on the forums (in particular the programming help one)

Last edited:

zen-r

Reaction score
So, where has Garrett moved his http://knowledgebase.x10hosting.com/ site to? As was said, it would be helpful to know who is writing what KB articles, to avoid duplication.

On the subject of duplication, will these articles be a replacement for the Tutorials section? There clearly is a cross-over in info, & many of the tutorials are well out of date now - which will just confuse people who try to follow them (if they can even find them in the first place). Many of the new KB articles can be produced by just re-writing some of the existing tutorials. I understand that tutorials may often be thought of as longer articles/instruction manuals, but we need clarity of purpose between KB articles & tutorials, if tutorials are to stay. And if they are, shouldn't out of date tutorials be deleted or at least labelled as such?

Similarly, the forum Stickies need re-doing, many are out of date, lack info, or repeat info from elsewhere that could just be linked to instead. These Stickies could be duplicated in the KB if they give useful info. Finally, we also have an FAQ. So much info everywhere, no wonder noobs (& many less-so-noob) get so overwhelmed & don't know where to look! Closer inspection would reveal that the FAQ is (I think) just a generic FAQ for using the vBulletin forum system. Perhaps the link to it could be better labelled. And if we also want an FAQ specific to x10 issues, it could consist of the pick of the most popular KB articles.

In addition to my earlier list of suggestions in this thread, I'd like to add the suggestion of making a KB article/ tutorial for members trying to transfer/ migrate specifically from an existing GeoCities website to this one. The reason for this is explained over on this thread ; http://forums.x10hosting.com/off-topic/98105-should-we-target-geocities-users.html. Time is running out for doing this!

Finally, if anyone is planning to write up the KB article "What are/how do I use x10 Credits?", then these posts will have it almost pre-written for you (you'll just need to clarify how many credits are given for what post (length of post, when, & in which sections) ;

http://forums.x10hosting.com/free-hosting/98225-please-tell-me-about-credits.html#post546937

http://forums.x10hosting.com/free-hosting/99396-x10rewards.html#post556466

Please click my Reputation button
reputation.gif
(at the corner of this post) & make me :) -it costs you nothing!

If I've traded services/credits with you, please remember to leave iTrader Feedback. Thanks.​

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Sorry, I pulled down my knowledgebase site as I'm working on the articles using a different method and I wanted to make the domain available if Corey wants to use it as the real KB.

As far as who is doing what, anyone can PM me and ask what is done and what needs to be done as I have access to the official list. If you would like officially contribute articles, I think you should post your interest in this thread.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
On the subject of duplication, will these articles be a replacement for the Tutorials section? There clearly is a cross-over in info, & many of the tutorials are well out of date now - which will just confuse people who try to follow them (if they can even find them in the first place). Many of the new KB articles can be produced by just re-writing some of the existing tutorials. I understand that tutorials may often be thought of as longer articles/instruction manuals, but we need clarity of purpose between KB articles & tutorials, if tutorials are to stay. And if they are, shouldn't out of date tutorials be deleted or at least labelled as such?

I have started writing articles based off (1) the list of suggestions present previously in this thread, (2) the video tutorials provided by cPanel, but with newer information, and (3) the questions I see in the Free Hosting Support area.

With the number of people we have right now writing articles, I don't think duplicates will be that big of an issue, as the other people writing articles are a quick instant message away.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I have some time right now so I could invest myself in writing KB articles, Garrett.

Similarly, the forum Stickies need re-doing, many are out of date, lack info, or repeat info from elsewhere that could just be linked to instead. These Stickies could be duplicated in the KB if they give useful info. Finally, we also have an FAQ. So much info everywhere, no wonder noobs (& many less-so-noob) get so overwhelmed & don't know where to look! Closer inspection would reveal that the FAQ is (I think) just a generic FAQ for using the vBulletin forum system. Perhaps the link to it could be better labelled. And if we also want an FAQ specific to x10 issues, it could consist of the pick of the most popular KB articles.

I think we should put links everywhere information is available to the new KB. This way it will be easier to manage information for new version etc.

Last edited:

theBruney

Reaction score
I would like to know if this hosting supports clean urls via .htaccess files. For instance if I had a url like: myweb.com/index.php?page=home can I change the url to: myweb.com/home with code like:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^([a-zA-Z0-9]+)$ index.php?page=$1
RewriteRule ^([a-zA-Z0-9]+)/$ index.php?page=$1

I've heard this code only runs on servers running on Apache, otherwise I notice most folks running to CMS like Joomla, Drupal and WP to get this sort of feature. I'm not a fan of those CMS software and preferred to get a host that allows this with just using RewriteEngine in the .htaccess file.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
I would like to know if this hosting supports clean urls via .htaccess files. For instance if I had a url like: myweb.com/index.php?page=home can I change the url to: myweb.com/home with code like:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^([a-zA-Z0-9]+)$ index.php?page=$1
RewriteRule ^([a-zA-Z0-9]+)/$ index.php?page=$1

I've heard this code only runs on servers running on Apache, otherwise I notice most folks running to CMS like Joomla, Drupal and WP to get this sort of feature. I'm not a fan of those CMS software and preferred to get a host that allows this with just using RewriteEngine in the .htaccess file.

This is not the correct spot for this post, but mod_rewrite is enabled.

zen-r

Reaction score
Whilst I'm here (having just wasted my time opening this page, only to find the last 2 posts ;) ) ....

... Perhaps one of the KB Writers can tell us how things are going? Making good progress? Any developments worth hearing about?

"KB Writers are 8 times better than Kb Writers"

zapzack

Reaction score
Whilst I'm here (having just wasted my time opening this page, only to find the last 2 posts ;) ) ....

... Perhaps one of the KB Writers can tell us how things are going? Making good progress? Any developments worth hearing about?

o_O

Maybe you guys should add http://lmstfy.co.cc to the KB ._.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score

There are quite a few good articles. Unfortunately, I've gotten behind since my Windows installation was screwed up and I'm transferring everything over to Ubuntu